Sign in to follow this  
cascoy

attack ddos

It's impossible to block A DDoS attack depending on the size, unless you want to block all incoming traffic(which means legit users can't connect either). There ways to block it, e.g migrate traffic, setup firewall etc... this will help prevent a ddos attack to a certain point but if you do get one, expect your servers to lag now a bit till you sort out the ddos attack if you can.

But I'm not some server engineer wizard, don't rely on my comment. All i know is that it's impossible to block one. Like they say, bigger they are, harder they fall. =)

It's impossible to block A DDoS attack depending on the size, unless you want to block all incoming traffic(which means legit users can't connect either). There ways to block it, e.g migrate traffic, setup firewall etc... this will help prevent a ddos attack to a certain point but if you do get one, expect your servers to lag now a bit till you sort out the ddos attack if you can.

But I'm not some server engineer wizard, don't rely on my comment. All i know is that it's impossible to block one. Like they say, bigger they are, harder they fall. =)

If they only lag a bit then he's lucky ;) And yes, there is no way to stop a DDoS atm, the only way to 'try and stop them' would be to FORCE every internet user to install a proper antivirus and keep it up to date, as it is the usual users and their infected PCs that are the source of the biggest attacks...

As to the question, you can try setting rcon_password to an empty string. You would be pretty much safe then, it would disable rcon totally though. Or just make it very long and uncommon, make sure you don't use any words in it (if you change letters to appriopriate symbols / numbers, that's not making it secure at all!). An example of a secure password would be for example c54761ffede5d364a (but obviously don't use this one as everyone can see it :P).

Dos attack has no protection -_- You can try some layer 6 or layer 7 firewall devices at your server end to reduce the effect of dos attack. Recently I was being attacked with 2.5 Gbps and my whole server crashed on it :/ Haven't got any solution to that without adopting some firewall devices. You can also try some datacenter in US who are providing dos attack protection on game servers :D

Dos attack has no protection -_- You can try some layer 6 or layer 7 firewall devices at your server end to reduce the effect of dos attack. Recently I was being attacked with 2.5 Gbps and my whole server crashed on it :/ Haven't got any solution to that without adopting some firewall devices. You can also try some datacenter in US who are providing dos attack protection on game servers :D

If the attack is bigger than your bandwidth, even a million firewalls won't help. That is the problem with DDoS.

If you want DDoS protection, go for OVH or Softlayer servers. (Looks like IceOps servers are also from OVH :P )

To protect rcon against brute force, make it at least 8 characters long with random text. Most brute force attacks use dictionaries of known words so it will become useless if you choose random words/numbers.