Sign in to follow this  
Duck

Feelings on the Hardcore Changes

So I'll start this off with a few disclaimers; these feelings are fuelled by my preference of the mostly unaltered hardcore gamemode therefore I shall be complaining a bit here. Secondly I understand NNJ probably spent some time making all the changes now seen however I stand by the belief of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

The first thing I noticed, which is probably (I hope) a bug is the brightness which auto-resets when the map changes. It's quite the inconvenience for someone like me who keeps their brightness low all the time having to change it back every time the map rotates.

Killstreaks are in my opinion a bad change as well. It seems unnecessary to have so many to the point where after attaining a 5 killstreak all I have to do is find a quiet corner and push 6 to win. The basic 3,5,7 format is much simpler and balanced for average Joe player and decently good player alike. I say this because I would consider myself an above average player who has no trouble stringing together kills to get the rewards, it just isn't fun to get kills so cheaply and easily, of course I could just not bother using them but then what is the point of earning them in the first place. On the other end of the spectrum average Joe doesn't want to be reigned down upon by ordinance every time he spawns. On the topic of killstreaks it's also worth saying that having high level killstreaks of 15+ causes one thing and one thing only, camping. It causes even the most blind rushers to hold back causing only a detriment to gameplay that should in my eyes be fast paced and hectic.

This next complaint may sound a bit silly but xp, 600 per kill? I think this not needed as all it does is put a larger number on your screen every time you drop someone so by blocking your vision further which can cause obvious problems at long range where all you can see is the enemies head. Level really doesn't matter in an almost 7 year old game and using it to unlock guns shouldn't matter either since even the default classes are competitive. Also what is the point of having a high xp softcore server where the main draw is the x6 xp increase if you can just go to a hardcore server that has x60 xp?

The final thing I have for now is that hardcore and promod are two different beasts so trying to infuse the two won't and doesn't work, the FOV feels unnatural to someone who rarely or never plays promod, the jumpheight/speed changes make tracking players all the more difficult and I can't imagine how bad that is with connection/ping issues. Generally I don't think anything in the area of how the player sees or moves in the game should have been altered.

Well there is all I have to say, of course I would rather thing's hadn't changed and I know one persons whines aren't going to change anything. You may think differently but I wanted to get my opinion out there. Discuss and disagree with me all you want but I don't think hardcore will be the same again around here

All in all you did a pretty good job Michael!

I have also a critic point: the spawn protection should be disabled at all. Today when I played on the server, the spawn protection of others disallowed me to kill them and so I died and they killed my killstreak. (LOL killing a killstreak) I think it's really unnecessary, because the one who spawn has a freaking big advantage against others and for me the fun of the hardcore gameplay has gone.

As I said above. I like the new HC server really much, except this littl thing. :)

Makes it harder to spawn camp. If you shoot while spawn protection is on, it immediately is disabled. You would have to be shooting players that are not shooting back for the spawn protection to be a problem.

I've my questions about the update on hardcore to. Those kill streaks I don't mind. But the speed. I don't like it as you need find a new way to play. Before the changes I loved the hardcore server. It was just basic and good. But now (for me) It's not so much fun.

As it seems the HC server is as popular as never before...

So I think the change was a good decision.

still: I played today and the spawn protection makes me mad.

Michael, maybe a compromise: At least change the five seconds of protection to two.

Guest Ares

Well I haven't played it yet but 5 seconds is in my opinion is waaaaaay too long. Even 2 seconds seems like a bit too much.

Well, I please you again to change the spawn protection system.. It's the worst thing you could have ever put in this mod :cursing::thumbdown:

Also: If someone calls a vote, the vote isn't displayed on the screen; only: Player X called a vote in the logs.. Maybe you can fix that too ^^