Sign in to follow this  
IJzzo

Windows 10 install experience

Well the idea of this topic is to collect feedback for direct installations of Windows10 over your current Windows installation from the build in Windows updater.

I'll start here:

My Laptop - Old Windows 8.1: I installed Windows 10 from the win icon in taskbar. Windows 10 seems to work well considering its just the release. All userdata still there. All programs still there. They seems to still working.

My gaming PC - Old Windows 8.1: I'm waiting still for the update to be ready.

Worth mentioning is also the fact from what version you updated from. I know Ninja's Laptop was upgraded from Win 8.1.

Please mention if you had to back up all your files and perhaps reinstall all your programms, thanks.

From Windows 7 Pro (student license) to Windows 10 Pro (same license) - windows update. All programs are working normally. The only thing that reset was the windows logon background, but I'll figure out how to change that back later. I didn't backup any files, simply because I store all my important stuff in the cloud or on my external hard drives.

For those you are scared if it will reset cod4 levels, it does not, at least not in my experience.

No backups what so ever. No windows icon on my pc. After all trouble shooting solutions still no icon. After a reset I opent windows update. It started downloading w10. Updating without any problem except that nvidia excperience tried to get installed directly so I did not have to do it after update. It didn't word and I needed to download it manualy. All drivers were gone. So needed to download it all agian. For razer products and gpu. No bugs found. From w8.1 pro to w10 pro.

Installed it on my laptop in case there was any bugs; don't want them on my PC.

Update downloaded, went to install and crashed. Had to force restart the laptop, and the second download failed.

The third download was successful though, as was the install. Windows 10 is up and running now though.

Haven't had enough time to test all the features yet though, but it looks like it's made for a tablet.

i tried to make clean install from bootable usb and everything should be fine but as always i have problem... so when i boot win10 just get blank screen and message from monitor that optimal resolution is 1280x1024, and i use that usually but it seems that windows are automaticly puting other resolution and my monitor doesent support it.... basically changing resolution would fix the problem but i cant get to settings without monitor, if someone have ideas feel free to reply

well i cant get to vga mode settings, and isnt bootmanager for arledy installed windows/boot?

because i cant install it so there isnt boot for win10 there

how could i enter bootmanager ? to be sure

I had windows 8.1. In order to get the Windows Upgrade Icon I had to manually make sure all updates were installed.

Finally when I got the icon I started the setup chose to keep everything.

All went smoothly and works just fine.

I have noticed a considerable improvement in multi tasking especially when gaming.

However I get 1 really annoying bug. My start menu and cortana stop working randomly and it's frustrating when I need to search and launch a program from there!

If u put this 1 bug to the side, the upgrade was worth it.

EDIT: I'll add another Windows 8 Laptop

Updates were not working and always failed to install, so I couldn't even upgrade to windows 8.1 in the first place. I had to make a bootable USB stick for windows 10 and work my way through there.

Windows finally installed but the laptop was low spec so it runs reeeeeally bad on it. Not worth it tbh.

@QueNNch Just get everything up to date and it'll fix the problem. At least for me. Also I use some system care programs to remove junk and pretty much just optimize my every need (Avast Free Anti Virus, IOBit Malware Fighter, Smart Defrag 4, Driver Booster 3).

Well working after installing from windows update over a Windows 7 Professional 32bit (Service pack 1) machine. I have found no glitches till now, just one problem occurred that I fixed easily: after installing Windows 10, registry editor and task manager were disabled.

But generally it is a very stable os at least for me.

Disk usage was constantly at 100% for me, I used a YouTube video and disabled some things and it stays around 20%, other than random crashes on Steam it's fine with me, start menu is a little delayed when you press it though.

I was happy with Windows 10 until my pc upgrade..

I've no legal windows copy. Problem is that the key isn't working with my new hardware.

Only fix for it is to down grade to windows 7 and from there upgrade back to windows 10.

I hope they come with an easier fix, Don't feel like installing windows 4 times again.