Sign in to follow this  
AlpHA

Gaming PC setup

ATI Radeon HD4870 --> GTX960

That's what I was looking at to upgrade from a 660, but I'm most likely to save up for a 970 seeing as there's a much bigger gap between the gtx 660 and 970.

GTX 980, 980!

Don't chant stuff I can't afford..

That's what I was looking at to upgrade from a 660, but I'm most likely to save up for a 970 seeing as there's a much bigger gap between the gtx 660 and 970.

I have a 660 too :o

And I'm looking at a 970 too! :o

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

GTX 980, 980!

Don't chant stuff I can't afford..

But it's only a few bucks more xP

The upgrade from a GTX660 to GTX960 is not much worth (X1.5 performance).

But my HD4870 is a lot slower than a GTX960. Also my screen needs displayport which my HD4870 does not have for full resolution and additionally all newer games demanding Direct3D11 won't run.

For me it must be more than double performance that I'd even think about it.

So I got my new video card. Result: Same shitty low fps in target game as before. Just the quality improves to max.

CPU might be bottle necking? You should have some pretty decent FPS difference with that card compared to the other as it's better than mine.

Yes it is the CPU. I can't upgrade that as well. I would need a very high clocked dual core CPU it seems. CPU load always around 45% of all four cores together. As it was even before far from 100% it did let me think the video card is keeping fps down.

My FPS are most times around 30.

The game is Arma3.

GPU usage is most of the time at 30%...

@Ninja Some antivirus software might also be the problem. I had norton installed and tried to play arma on all settings from low->max and only got 4 fps max.

As soon as I removed it, I was getting about 60fps on max.

@Ninja Some antivirus software might also be the problem. I had norton installed and tried to play arma on all settings from low->max and only got 4 fps max.

As soon as I removed it, I was getting about 60fps on max.

Norton is essentially a virus disguised as an antivirus I really hate it.. Even after uninstalling Norton you will still get ads or popups telling you to buy Norton. It's also slow as hell and idk.. Atm I'm not using an antivirus as I'm not downloading anything other than Steam games so I'm fine.

Things to do:

1) Update drivers.

2) Make sure there's enough wattage for your GPU

3) Download NZXT Cam and enable Overlay.

you'll see the Usages of the GPU and CPU.

That way I found out that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU :(

Cpu usage 100% and GPU max at 60% Would love to see both at 90/100%

Well I have two screens to display a lot stuff on the other. Can't be disk issue as my disk activity is below 10%.

I also use two screens so maybe we can compare FPS on CoD4 compared to Arma 3, I don't have that?