noktaakacem

Ban appeal for new1

Nickname:

new1

Server you got banned on:

IceOps Freeze Tag NEW

Your UID/GUID:

Admin UID/GUID:

says 0 but I guess this helps https://iceops.co/sourcebans/index.php?p=banlist&advSearch=STEAM_31:1:383438952&advType=steamid&Submit

Ban reason:

edited textures

What happened:

Hey, I started to play COD4:MW 15-20 days before, after years of breaking up. Since then, I played my favorite server Freeze Tag regular basis. 3-5 days ago, one of your staff members (WolfMan if I remember the nick correctly.) asked me a questions about my screen while I was spectating. Something like: Do you edit your textures? I said: Oh yes, do you like it? He said: Yes, texture edits fine but don't use fullbright. I said: Even if I wanted to use; far as I know, I can't because r_fullbright cheat protected but I won't anyway. I also asked to him I can sent my textures if he liked and wants to use. He said no, thanks. I'm sure he remember the conversation. And if you didn't get the point yet, POINT IS: I'm already very open and honest about what I do (Because I don't use anything to hide.) and we already checked what I use. But tonight, around 00:15 - 00:30, according to your web-site log 23:24 someone/(I guess 2fast4you.) permanently banned me because of edited textures. So, I like to hear some sensible explanation from your side or get unban and please inform your rest of staff about the texture edit situation. But please don't say things like: Editing textures gives advantage. If you really believe that, please open the game with highest graphic settings and take a screen shot. Then open with lowest settings and take another screen shot from same spot. Now compare this two and ask yourself; how much easy to detect opponents with higest graphic settings compare to lowest. So if you believe that, basicially you're sayin' if I pay more to hardware I can have that easy on the eye advantage but if I refuse to pay more to hardware and edit stuff I can't have that easy on the eye advantage. I know there must be a limit and you can see clearly I don't remove things like smoke granede's smoke. If we are on same page about textures; please remove pure protection from the mod/iwd files. I like to edit a few things from there too. Some of them hurt my eyes, some of them too small like snowflake icon (hud_status_snowflake). If we aren't same page on that and somehow WolfMan misinformed me before; I like you to know I'm strongly disagree with that but your servers, your rules. So, I will respect and stay away from servers regardless banned or unbanned. Thanks for reading and hosting. Sorry for my grammar mistakes and bad English. Take care! (OpFor)new1:Contact! :)

Spoiler
14 hours ago, noktaakacem said:

Nickname:

new1

Server you got banned on:

IceOps Freeze Tag NEW

Your UID/GUID:

Admin UID/GUID:

says 0 but I guess this helps https://iceops.co/sourcebans/index.php?p=banlist&advSearch=STEAM_31:1:383438952&advType=steamid&Submit

Ban reason:

edited textures

What happened:

Hey, I started to play COD4:MW 15-20 days before, after years of breaking up. Since then, I played my favorite server Freeze Tag regular basis. 3-5 days ago, one of your staff members (WolfMan if I remember the nick correctly.) asked me a questions about my screen while I was spectating. Something like: Do you edit your textures? I said: Oh yes, do you like it? He said: Yes, texture edits fine but don't use fullbright. I said: Even if I wanted to use; far as I know, I can't because r_fullbright cheat protected but I won't anyway. I also asked to him I can sent my textures if he liked and wants to use. He said no, thanks. I'm sure he remember the conversation. And if you didn't get the point yet, POINT IS: I'm already very open and honest about what I do (Because I don't use anything to hide.) and we already checked what I use. But tonight, around 00:15 - 00:30, according to your web-site log 23:24 someone/(I guess 2fast4you.) permanently banned me because of edited textures. So, I like to hear some sensible explanation from your side or get unban and please inform your rest of staff about the texture edit situation. But please don't say things like: Editing textures gives advantage. If you really believe that, please open the game with highest graphic settings and take a screen shot. Then open with lowest settings and take another screen shot from same spot. Now compare this two and ask yourself; how much easy to detect opponents with higest graphic settings compare to lowest. So if you believe that, basicially you're sayin' if I pay more to hardware I can have that easy on the eye advantage but if I refuse to pay more to hardware and edit stuff I can't have that easy on the eye advantage. I know there must be a limit and you can see clearly I don't remove things like smoke granede's smoke. If we are on same page about textures; please remove pure protection from the mod/iwd files. I like to edit a few things from there too. Some of them hurt my eyes, some of them too small like snowflake icon (hud_status_snowflake). If we aren't same page on that and somehow WolfMan misinformed me before; I like you to know I'm strongly disagree with that but your servers, your rules. So, I will respect and stay away from servers regardless banned or unbanned. Thanks for reading and hosting. Sorry for my grammar mistakes and bad English. Take care! (OpFor)new1:Contact! :)

Edited textures/Skins(For your weapons) are fine- As long as it doesn't give you an advantage over other players- From what I can see the skins you have on the enemies makes them more visible than they really are, and in my book that makes it a disadvantage for the opposing players.

Screenshots below;

Spoiler

new10006 skins.jpgnew10007 skins.jpg

WolfMan misinformed me before

I told you that the aim you use is fine but I did not say anything about the skintexture's and you did not say it aswell.

So I scanned you again another game and saw those skin textures, those are not allowed like kenai is saying above.

But anyway goodluck with the appeal.

1 hour ago, Tyrannos said:

Oh, as I can make the guns skin? ?(

Yes you can make/use Gun Skins, You can even have edited textures(Like Buildings,The Sky,Roads etc) just not something that gives you a disadvantage over the opposing teams, Like Enemy/Teammate Skins that are different colors.

Hey new1, you're such a good player, I'm really sorry you got banned (@Blackstab here). Well it's all unfortunate but there are a couple of things I feel I need to comment about;

On 8/12/2016 at 1:56 AM, noktaakacem said:

But please don't say things like: Editing textures gives advantage. If you really believe that, please open the game with highest graphic settings and take a screen shot. Then open with lowest settings and take another screen shot from same spot. Now compare this two and ask yourself; how much easy to detect opponents with higest graphic settings compare to lowest.

Editing textures do give advantage and hereby I will explain that from my own experience. One game I played back in my childhood was 007: Nightfire. You could have player textures edited so it's cyan (for allies) and magenta (for hostile). Instead of their common textures, having textures with colors that attract attention over standard ones will affect in your reaction time as it's a lot easier to spot enemies which you know how they look like and its color-pitch, you will be bound to automatically attack - as soon as you see magenta, you will spam attack to death. That's where advantage lies on in my opinion. I obviously unknow what textures you are using, but as I myself was a server admin for other games as well, texture editing becomes generally forbidden (unless otherwise especified).

About how hardware affects reaction time... is very, very arguable. I can also say that having 250fps is an advanatge over those who can only run at 125fps. And that's true! But I'm not going to say that 250fps is cheating because it is possible to have it at that rate and it's widely accepted. Obviously, the better your hardware is, the better you will see graphics and details.

On 8/12/2016 at 1:56 AM, noktaakacem said:

So if you believe that, basicially you're sayin' if I pay more to hardware I can have that easy on the eye advantage but if I refuse to pay more to hardware and edit stuff I can't have that easy on the eye advantage.

It applies to its full extent to me. I run Cod4 on my laptop HD 3000 getting 125fps only and everything on minimum. Should I want to play with better graphics, ergo see enemies better and sooner (in the deep distance), I will inevitably have to upgrade my hardware.

Greetings mate!

Edited by lolWUTkk
spelling

Hey Blackstab a.k.a @lolWUTkk,

On 09.12.2016 at 11:31 PM, lolWUTkk said:

(...) You could have player textures edited so it's cyan (for allies) and magenta (for hostile). Instead of their common textures, having textures with colors that attract attention over standard ones will affect in your reaction time (...)

Finally, some logical & valid arguments against editing textures. Thank you! I think you have a pretty good point here but when we put all the other elements which give us advantage & disadvantage in-game (Like ping, FPS 125/250/333, graphic quality etc...) I'm not sure I would be as strict as you about this. From my point of view this is not a competitive game, mod or scene. We're bunch of people who playing a almost 10 years old game just for fun. Editing textures, all the cvars about lightening should be allowed to change at this stage.

On 09.12.2016 at 11:31 PM, lolWUTkk said:

I obviously unknow what textures you are using

You can't touch 15 to 27 texture files. (I'm not sure exact number right now, need to check but lets say 30 top.) I edited all others. Which is around 6500. I started this little project years ago as a hobby but stopped working on it when I quit playing. I don't like to hear unnecessary things (Because I like to listen music while I play.), so I deleted all the unnecessary sounds. Now I only hear effects like gun shots, foot steps. I don't hear unnecessary things like: Bad guys captured C or lets go comrades etc... I don't like weather and all the other ambiance effects. So, I deleted them too. (Another point to argue about probably.) All the other stuff separated to the groups like icons, guns, crosshair etc. and resized, created mipmaps for better performance. And some of them like player skins changed. So, this texture edits of mine not based on "lemme give players shiny colors for advantage" thing. But doesn't matter what my intention are. You allow on your server or not. Simple is that. By the way, I know they look ugly as hell. I'm not happy about that one color thing eighter. When I finish, (If I ever managed to finish.) probably they look like more colorful, elegant and camouflagic. But first, I need to re-categorize all the 6500+ textures again. Because my old+new mix has lots of miss-categorized stuff. Untouched files in "main" folder more than 3GB, my edited files less than 420Mb. So, I guess you have a more less an idea what I am using now. ;)

On 09.12.2016 at 10:29 PM, Kenai said:

Yes you can make/use Gun Skins, You can even have edited textures(Like Buildings,The Sky,Roads etc) just not something that gives you a disadvantage over the opposing teams, Like Enemy/Teammate Skins that are different colors.

On 09.12.2016 at 10:47 PM, IceOps Wolfman said:

what he said

Really!? Okay kids, allow me to explain to you what you just said:

You said gun skins fine. I will make all the guns pink.

You said sky and roads skins fine. I will make all the skys black, all the roads light gray stone.

You said building skins fine. I will make all the buildings soft light red bricks.

After all of these allowed changes, do you really think your untouched player skins still give you any kind of camouflage effect? No! Because after all of these changes you will be the Bengal tiger in the Siberia. So, what is the big difference between changing only player textures or keeping vanilla player textures and changing all the other textures again? Pretty much nothing, right. So, why did you said something like these ones okay to edit? One of the reasons why I waited almost one week before write again. To see, if everyone agree on that nonsense. One week later, I guess safe to say all of you agree what @Kenai said and @IceOps Wolfman approved with "what he said" comment.

This "one color" example of mine too much for you? You think only sophisticated edits must be allowed not one colors now? Fine for me. Then, I have a new proposition for you. I'm not editing any of these. I will use vanilla textures and next time when you get a screen shot, you will see exactly same textures. I will just edit bumpmap and lightmap files. Which makes only player skins and weapons shiny as hell and all the other stuff soft as gets. Or exact opposite. But eighter way players will be so easy to detect with vanilla/untouched skins. Now, do you think this is fair, too different than changing player skins or not give any advantage?

Please don't bother to answer any of these questions. I know why wrote what you wrote. You talk/write like most of people. Without thinking enough on it. Sad, but we know its true. (By the way I strongly suggest to take this. Because if you reject this; you will be the guy who thinks deeply on it but still say things doesn't make any sense.)

Like I said, Blackstab has a valid point. If you think, that point gives more advantage than given by fps+ping+graphic qualitys total advantage; I think you should ban all the texture changes and avoid external texture use with server settings. (I'm sure server admin(s) knows how to do it.) Because, even if I only change to the weapon skins; I can spot you more easily.

Plus, you should disable using film tweaks too. If you are banning r_fullbright; you should disable film tweaks too right? Because only difference between them is one of them provide fancy way of lighting and other one provide basic way of lighting. But both of them changes lighting. So, both of them should be allowed or disabled. This is make sense. Current settings/rules unfortunately not. Also, please don't forget everyone can create multiple shortcuts via their graphic card software and pressing like ALT+C, CTRL+Z etc... can change map colors and expose all of your safe, dark, camouflagic camp spots drastically

without even touching game files or configs. So, if you gonna write something like "if we allow these camping will die." please, don't even start.

Like I said my first message: Your servers, your rules. Doesn't have to be make sense I guess. I hope you take what I wrote as a gift. I didn't spend my time to be smart-ass or be the "right guy". I just enjoyed my time on FTAG, wanted to give something back useful. (My knowledge and perspective.) You like or agree or use in the future; up to you. I don't have anything more to say. Good bye.

2 hours ago, noktaakacem said:

Please don't bother to answer any of these questions.

Ok, i wont. that is a really long story you wrote man.

i shall give my opinion on this: In my belief you should not edit ANY of the game files (and the advantage of the graphics etc not really too big as opposed of a singular colour that stands out over everything) sure it will help a bit i give you that.

what i am curious to know is hoe your FPS is with and without your edited textures and what your pc specs are(is the editing really necessary?)

13 hours ago, noktaakacem said:

Really!? Okay kids, allow me to explain to you what you just said:

Empty words...

What ever you gonna say it doesn't matter. We have rules here if you don't like it.. leave and play somewhere else.

Instead of raging and calling us kids trying to convince people that texture's are fine.

We play it fair , nobody has advantage.