Kenai

Hard Drive Failure

So I've gotten a BSOD(Blue screen of death) twice now for a Kernel data inpage error which is a hard drive issue. My F: drive has disconnected twice as well(It's plugged into a hot swappable port in the hard drive cage- I've used a program and found out that my F: drive is in the caution zone, so I'm going to be safe and not get on it as that drive has all my games and I have bad internet so redownloading them is not going to happen- So what I want to know is what kind of Harddrive should I get? The one that's failing is a Seagate Barracuda 3Tb. So something other than a Seagate and it has to be 4tb+. None of my WD drives have failed- yet.

3 hours ago, 0sjors0 said:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149628 (Toshiba HDWE150XZSTA)

this is supposedly also a great drive, and kinda cheap too.

Damn. On sale but original price is $300 xD for that regular price I would be closer to buying a 1tb SSD ^-^

8 hours ago, Mc.Joker said:

Yeah, I was thinking on getting a WD just didn't know if I should get Purple(Surveillance) or Red(NAS). Would love to get a WD Black but they're too pricey for me atm xD

Was planning on getting 2 HDD's and setting them up in a raid that way if 1 failed I'd still have all my data.

Also I had my PC running for around 2 hours and didn't get a BSOD or a HDD disconnect(Moved it out of the hotswap connection) so maybe it's the hotswap port that's failing.

I was going to buy a WD red 4tb but it won't be eligible for shipping for 2 - 4 weeks. Might just wait and save some more money and get a 6tb or something towards the end of the month xP

1 hour ago, 0sjors0 said:

i have enough with my 2 tb storage... how do you need that much?

Well, I have backups from my C: drive, I have a bunch of movies saved on it. And then basically everything else I have goes onto my F: Drive xD  Games,Downloads, recorded Games and Screenshots.

45.7 GB free of 2.72TB ^^

4 hours ago, Ninja said:

WD: bad experience (losing sectors, failing to read data once reading was stopped)

Seagate: good experience

Toshiba: Not so good experience (high wear of bearings, I were able to tilt the disks once had opened disk.

I have 4 WD storage devices, 2 HDD and 2 externals. Only the 1 external is under caution, might be because it's old and is 1tb. The more storage space the faster they fail. Maybe when I win the lottery I'll get a bunch of SSD's and put them in a external storage housing and use a raid xP

But I'm planning on getting the WD red as it has vibration protection- which is what I need because I have 2 WD greens(which they say only to have 1) in the hard drive cage.

11 hours ago, Kenai said:

I have 4 WD storage devices, 2 HDD and 2 externals. Only the 1 external is under caution, might be because it's old and is 1tb. The more storage space the faster they fail. Maybe when I win the lottery I'll get a bunch of SSD's and put them in a external storage housing and use a raid xP

But I'm planning on getting the WD red as it has vibration protection- which is what I need because I have 2 WD greens(which they say only to have 1) in the hard drive cage.

And then there's me being happy as I got myself a 150GB SSD...

4 hours ago, Fisher said:

Have you tried using the drive with cables instead of hotswap bays? It could just be the connector problem. 

'Also I had my PC running for around 2 hours and didn't get a BSOD or a HDD disconnect(Moved it out of the hotswap connection) so maybe it's the hotswap port that's failing.'

When I turned on my PC yesterday the drive wasn't there. Maybe it's a power problem, there was a little piece of plastic missing on the edge of where it connects.

So, I think I'll be getting myself a WD Blue, Probably 6TB as the 4TB is out of stock. WD Blue is fairly priced and it's for constant use(As all my real stuff is on the 3TB Seagate and will be transferring it to the new Drive) Will also be getting a docking station with USB 3.0/eSATA with 2 bays so I can plop the two drives in there and not worry about having to take off the back panel to get at the drives.

Update-

So I've gotten my new HDD, but sadly when I tried to clone it with Clonezilla I got a bad sector error. So now I'm just going to be doing it normally by copying and pasting files to the new drive.

26 minutes ago, Kenai said:

Update-

So I've gotten my new HDD, but sadly when I tried to clone it with Clonezilla I got a bad sector error. So now I'm just going to be doing it normally by copying and pasting files to the new drive.

At least you tried :P Which HDD did you buy at the end?