Sign in to follow this  
John Yuki

Bugs and QoL changes across the servers

Decided to make a forum post about various changes/bugs I've found whilst playing on the server. Everyone else can feel free to comment on this thread to let me know of bugs and I'll edit them in to this main post. I've already spoke to Leiizko about some of these things, but I figured I'd put them on a publicly viewable list so that people can let me know of thoughts, bugs, and suggestions that I might not have thought of or wrote down. I'll add to this list as I think of more things, or if people comment more things.

Hardcore TDM:

• Bugs:

- Artillery bug. Sometimes it doesn't let you use Artillery, and just always says "Artillery is unavailable". Not sure how to replicate this. Seems pretty random.

• QoL changes:

- When map voting appears at the end of the game, map names are their development names, such as "cargo ship", "carantan", "convoy", and so on. Map names should be what they are seen as in-game to avoid confusion.

- (Added!) Edit class at the beginning/end of the game so that you don't have to leave/rejoin the server constantly.

- (Added!) Scheduled announcements on the server to let people know what commands they can use. This would be fantastic for $pbss.

- Higher hardpoints stacking on top of lower ones.

- Remove hackers from hiscores. Also wipe hiscores periodically to keep them fresh.

- (Bobbing removed entirely!) Command to remove bobbing animation whilst running.

RoZo:

• Not possible to change unfortunately. We don't have access to the source code for it and development on the mod stopped long ago.
Edited by John Yuki

As we do not have source files for RoZo and development on it was stopped a long time ago it will sadly stay as it is.

And for the HC:

- For artillery you probably just try to use it when it is already underway. There is a period of time before and after it's been used when nothing really happens but it is still in use.

- Map names are taken from actual names (ex: mp_ambush) hence the missmatch in names. It is unlikely this will change as adding special cases is just unnecessary resource hog.

- You can change loadout at game end phase now.

- There is notification about new command when you join the server. It covers available commands ($help).

- As previously said that would just be horribly unbalanced. Unlikely to happen.

For artillery you probably just try to use it when it is already underway. There is a period of time before and after it's been used when nothing really happens but it is still in use.

Is there no way to fix it? It really hinders the game as it means I have to get a 9 killstreak in order to get rid of it, which is difficult when there are lots of good players online. Could you maybe let all hardpoints be dropable, just like the 9 kill hardpoint? It's not ideal, and it would be better for a workaround to be found so that it doesn't happen, as Artillery can rack up a LOT of kills in crowded games, but it's better than not being able to get hardpoints for the rest of the game.

Map names are taken from actual names (ex: mp_ambush) hence the missmatch in names. It is unlikely this will change as adding special cases is just unnecessary resource hog.

Resource hog? Don't get me wrong I've never run a server for a game before in my life, but surely it's just a case of changing a few names and adding a few if statements? It would be a few bytes for each map name at most, and an extra table in a database? As for resource hog, perhaps closing some of the servers down might help? I never see anyone in Obscurity, Freeze Tag, or Deathrun. Surely having them running for no one 24/7 is more of a resource hog than converting map names. Not to mention the cost of having those servers.

- You can change loadout at game end phase now.

Awesome! Best change for a while.

- There is notification about new command when you join the server. It covers available commands ($help).

This is good, but would it be possible to get a specific one for instructions on how to use $pbss? I bet a lot of people have no idea what it does, not to mention it would bring more traffic to the site when people come to check if the person is actually hacking.

And that's a shame about RoZo. It's a good gamemode but it's so horribly unbalanced and buggy.

A couple more things I just thought of:

• Removing hackers/inactive players from the hiscores. Hackers 100% need to be removed. Not sure if there is a viable way to automate this though or whether it just has to be done manually each time. It might also be worth having the hiscores get wiped every month so that it keeps them fresh and gives players a chance to get on the board. One of my hiscores that is on Overgrown has been up there for months, and probably won't be broken any time soon as I got it before the killstreak chance (the one where helicopters gave kills towards hardpoints). I think wiping them periodically would be good and keep the server fresh.
  • Command to remove bobbing animation while running? I played on a server a few days ago that had bobbing removed, and it felt so smooth and nice to play on.
  • Possibility of new weapons added, such as the ones from MW2 or something? I've been using a lot of the guns in RoZo and they'd be fantastic to have on the other servers.
Edited by John Yuki

4 hours ago, John Yuki said:

Я никогда не вижу никого в Obscurity, Freeze Tag или Deathrun.

These servers are divine! Even if I'm not a fan of deathrun-servers (already a worn-out mod). And the other 2 servers are very good and they have little anolog.

For example, I only know 2 open servers Obscurity (our and German (If I am not mistaken)). At German server have little online, there seems to have been for a long time no one plays. Freeze Tag, in turn, is also a very fun mod. There were times when these servers were constantly crowded.

I'm more than sure, they do not have people, because very few people know about them. The game itself is already old, and people, if they come to play, then, most likely, they will be played at a classical mode.

I believe that they need advertising. I am ready to organize the Russian community (on our social networks) on behalf of our clan, for the population among Russian gamers. Maybe it will bring us more active people. Also, we need to continue the YouTube channel and keep the stream, who is not difficult (my computer just does not allow it).

Maybe we should open a tournament server? It will attract people's attention. And we'll stream it. Let's make a button of donation for the participants. This will go to the prize pool and some percent on paying for servers.

1 hour ago, VanZy said:

I believe that they need advertising. I am ready to organize the Russian community (on our social networks) on behalf of our clan, for the population among Russian gamers. Maybe it will bring us more active people. Also, we need to continue the YouTube channel and keep the stream, who is not difficult (my computer just does not allow it).

Maybe we should open a tournament server? It will attract people's attention. And we'll stream it. Let's make a button of donation for the participants. This will go to the prize pool and some percent on paying for servers.

Well I can definitely help out with videos and stuff. I feel like I'm a good enough player for the gameplay to be interesting, and I also have a more than good enough computer to be able to Stream and whatnot. If it's something that Leiizko, Aquiz, and Ninja are willing to actually push and make an effort with then I'm down for helping out with the stuff I can. I'd like to see more people on too, as for 3/4 of the time I am awake (I am nocturnal more or less) no one is on the server.