John Yuki

Things that I think really need to be changed about IceOps Servers

The Dead Servers

So there are currently two servers that we have that have 0 players at all times - Freeze Tag, and Deathrun. My first suggestion is to get rid of them both, and replace them with different "arcade" gamemodes. The first I would like to suggest is Gun Game. Gun Game is very popular and a lot of people really like it. I think it would work nicely with the settings we have set on the server (jump height, sprint speed, stamina, etc), and would make the server stand out from the rest. The second server could be used up for something like 24/7 crossfire. People love the most popular maps, and if you look down the server list, some of the most popular unmodded servers are 24/7 servers that have the same map over and over. Crossfire is a big enough map that it doesn't become a total clusterfuck.

I know people might not like the idea of these two servers, but that is fine. The idea I had behind them was that we use the servers to draw in new players who are browsing the server list, and on these servers an announcement would appear every 5 minutes or so saying "Go to iceops.co to check out our other servers". If people like these new servers, then chances are their interest will be piqued at the thought of having other similar servers (HC TDM, SC TDM, HC FFA). I think casting a wider net like this would definitely help player counts.

VIP Tag

Hardly anyone buys the VIP tag. You know why? It's too difficult to find out what perks you get with it and it's also not advertised at all in-game, so most players probably don't even know that there is a VIP tag, let alone what you get for purchasing it. I really think more needs to be done to advertise the fact that we have a VIP tag.

Whilst I am on the topic of the VIP tag, I would like to suggest lowering the lifetime cost of it. Currently that is set at $60. I suggest lowering that to around $45. At that rate, only 1 person per month needs to purchase the lifetime VIP tag, which isn't counting the people who only get it for 1 or 2 months.

If we replace the dead servers with the servers that I suggested, and we step up the advertisements to get people to come to the website and check the other servers out, then the "donate" button should be called something like "Purchase VIP". I'm not sure if it is called "donate" to get around some kind of tax laws or something, but if so, then something needs to be done to make it stand out more.

FFA Server

Currently, the FFA server doesn't run on the same settings as the HC TDM server. It is more sluggish, the gravity is set higher, and I think the sprint speed is also slower, as well as lower stamina. I think to keep with the whole "IceOps" branding servers, we should ensure that all servers feel consistent, otherwise when we actually start pushing the whole advertisement thing, people will go on to the FFA Server and be let down when it feels completely different.

Lack Of Moderation

As far as I am aware, I am the only moderator that actually plays the HC TDM server regularly. Too often people have to come here to post screenshots of hackers, which sometimes take like 30+ minutes to be seen and dealt with. If the hacker stays there long enough without being banned, this drives players away and makes them leave, possibly not coming back. More moderators need to be hired. I have some suggestions for who those could be but I'd rather not state them publicly.

I think the server would also benefit from an $admin command that gets bounced to our personal Discord accounts or something, or maybe the Discord server that we have. It would let us respond much faster to reports and get rid of hackers ASAP.

Leaderboards

There are too many hackers on the leaderboards. They really need to get removed so that legitimate scores can get on there.

Trueskill

Honestly, trueskill rating sucks balls. It's not an accurate representation of skill, and a lot of people actually have their scores stuck for some reason. I think Milad has his score stuck at like 24, and other good players have their scores stuck at even less than that. I think it should just be replaced by all-time K/D/A, followed by an average KDA rounded to 2 decimal places. It would be a much more accurate representation of individual skill.

Map Rotation & Voting

The map rotation sucks. I mentioned this a while back. When the server is empty and only 4-6 people are playing it, it's awful when maps like Broadcast get selected because the action is spread too far apart. We need to have dynamic map pools, so that when the server is empty, only the smallest maps are enabled, and when we are full, only the largest maps are enabled. Creek would be a great map for when the server is full, but for some reason that isn't in the rotation.

Also, the map names really need to be changed. A lot of people pick garbage maps that barely anyone likes suck as Downpour ("Farm"), because they think it's some kind of new map. A lot of the maps don't have their proper name, so more popular maps like Ambush ("Convoy") don't get played.

And now for the map voting. Currently when maps are tied during voting, the one that is highest on the list gets chosen. This is stupid. It should choose randomly. Also, there is no way to go "up" the list, only down it. So if I accidentally go past the map I wanted to vote for, I have to scroll through the whole list again. This sometimes isn't possible when there isn't much time left, leading me to vote for a map I didn't want to actually vote for. We should be able to Right Click to move up the list.

Global Server Lag

The server lags a lot. Even when the server is empty, it will lag. It's as if the server is buffering or something. It makes everyone lag for like 2-3 seconds before continuing. Sometimes it does this up to 3 times in a game. This is enough to drive people away and get annoyed, especially if it costs them their life. I don't know what causes it, but it should definitely be looked in to.

Edited by John Yuki

Agreeing on the Server Lag topic, but on the other hand, changing the servers to different modes won't change a thing. You have some clear points here which could work, but wether they get implemented is another story.

1 hour ago, Joey said:

changing the servers to different modes won't change a thing.

Why would they not change anything? It's a fact that a 24/7 Crossfire server with the HC TDM's sprint and gravity settings would be way more popular than the Freeze Tag server. Even if the players don't filter over to the other servers, having a server that actually gets played that isn't the HC TDM server is a net benefit for the server.

Edited by John Yuki

24 minutes ago, Joey said:

If players don't filter over then whats the point in even changing it?

Because statistically, players are bound to filter over. Maybe not in droves, but it will 100% be better than having 2 empty servers. Surely you can understand that? What is the point in actually paying money for two servers that literally no one ever plays. It's a total waste of money. We can leave them sitting there doing nothing, or we can expand the empire and actually create servers that people want to play.

Edited by John Yuki

About a lot of the above, we discussed with @John Yuki several times, as far as I remember.

14 hours ago, John Yuki said:

I think the server would also benefit from an $admin command that gets bounced to our personal Discord accounts or something, or maybe the Discord server that we have. It would let us respond much faster to reports and get rid of hackers ASAP.

I still think that this idea is not expedient. Because I do think that administrators or moderators, if possible, check the server. And if we all had some smart clock with an alert, it's another matter xd

Moderators and so should check everything, each time the computer is turned on (ideally). And do not wait for us to be notified. For this, there are forms for reporting at site. But if you find it convenient, I'm ready to support you in this idea. I'm not sure if it will works perfectly.

I hope you understand what I wanted to explain. 

The map rotation sucks. I mentioned this a while back. When the server is empty and only 4-6 people are playing it, it's awful when maps like Broadcast get selected because the action is spread too far apart. We need to have dynamic map pools, so that when the server is empty, only the smallest maps are enabled, and when we are full, only the largest maps are enabled. Creek would be a great map for when the server is full, but for some reason that isn't in the rotation.

In this may be you are right, but if you often play on the server, I think you might be able to control it in manual.  Ask @izk0 to give you power points for changing maps.

Trueskill

Honestly, trueskill rating sucks balls. It's not an accurate representation of skill, and a lot of people actually have their scores stuck for some reason. I think Milad has his score stuck at like 24, and other good players have their scores stuck at even less than that. I think it should just be replaced by all-time K/D/A, followed by an average KDA rounded to 2 decimal places. It would be a much more accurate representation of individual skill.

On the game tracker there is another interesting characteristic in the form of score per minute ;) 

In all other categories, I support you, albeit with a little insecurity. Good job @John Yuki!

Edited by VanZy

You're confusing me with someone else. I don't get angry at campers in the slightest - I camp a lot myself. Only time I ever get frustrated is when I go 100-15 but still lose due to god awful team balance leaving me with all the worst players on my team.

5 hours ago, VanZy said:

I still think that this idea is not expedient. Because I do think that administrators or moderators, if possible, check the server. And if we all had some smart clock with an alert, it's another matter. Moderators and so should check everything, each time the computer is turned on (ideally). And do not wait for us to be notified. For this, there are forms for reporting at site. But if you find it convenient, I'm ready to support you in this idea. I'm not sure if it will works perfectly.

I agree, but we can't check it 24/7, especially if whoever decides if these things are going to good ideas actually happen (leiizko?). Not to mention people who think someone is hacking usually don't think to check $pbss because it is a pain for them - typing in command, waiting for upload, going to website, checking screenshot, reporting player. It is easier for the user to just type in a command to summon a moderator. Not only that, but it is easier for moderators too. Rather than having to check 50 screenshots, we can just get summoned and be directly told what player is the hacker.

5 hours ago, VanZy said:

In this may be you are right, but if you often play on the server, I think you might be able to control it in manual.

And what would this allow me to do? Force change maps? Or change what maps appear in the voting screen? If it's the former then it kind of removes the point of having map voting at all. If it is the latter then hell yea, that would be great. It would be better to do it dynamically with a bit of code though.

On the game tracker there is another interesting characteristic in the form of score per minute

This is okay, but not many people really know about it. All the best servers have this stuff available in-game for people to see, rather than making them go to external sites, that honestly aren't even that good. The only thing you can see on there is total score, score per minute, and total time played. Total and Average KDA is a really basic thing that should really be tracked, even the base game has this. Having this would so that people can show off would definitely put us head and shoulders above most other servers - the ones that don't have it.

Edited by John Yuki

I'll be honest, there's no point counting on some councilors here, they aren't even here half the time, so for that, I think this is a good argument with valid points, but nothing will change. Sorry to be a harsh guy, but I've been here long enough to know better now.

46 minutes ago, Joey said:

I'll be honest, there's no point counting on some councilors here, they aren't even here half the time, so for that, I think this is a good argument with valid points, but nothing will change. Sorry to be a harsh guy, but I've been here long enough to know better now.

I know this. I'm hoping that if they don't want to handle the server anymore then they will do the graceful thing and hand it over to someone who will.

7 hours ago, John Yuki said:

You're confusing me with someone else. I don't get angry at campers in the slightest - I camp a lot myself. Only time I ever get frustrated is when I go 100-15 but still lose due to god awful team balance leaving me with all the worst players on my team.

There are times when you actually get frustrated like you said when you go 100-15 but still lose due to '' God awful team balance'' leaving you with all the worst players on your team. You need to take it down a notch when you are displeased. 

2 hours ago, Joey said:

Well, people have their lives to live so you never know what could be going on in their situation.

17 minutes ago, Jack said:

There are times when you actually get frustrated like you said when you go 100-15 but still lose due to '' God awful team balance'' leaving you with all the worst players on your team. You need to take it down a notch when you are displeased. 

Yes, but I'm not wrong. I've wanted actual, proper team balancing for a long time now, it's needed. The server has a ranking system that only goes up/down depending on wins and losses, and when people like me actually give a damn about the rankings, then it sucks when the proper care isn't given to the balancing of the teams to ensure that they are fair. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a rare thing that happens, but it happens multiple times a day, and not just to me either.

If you want a ranking system on the server that relies only on wins and losses, then make sure the proper care is taken to ensure properly balanced teams. Otherwise, get rid of the ranking system and replace it with something that only takes in to account your solo stats, like KDA.

15 minutes ago, Jack said:

Well, people have their lives to live so you never know what could be going on in their situation.

In fairness though if you can't run the server then find someone who can. There are people who love the server to bits, and people like me who can only really play on this server due to poor eyesight (I need fullbright). When you know that you don't have time to run the server but refuse to let someone else take the reigns, even partially, then that's kinda BS.

On 7/24/2018 at 10:12 PM, John Yuki said:

The Dead Servers

Some new servers will come soon, probably S&D.

VIP Tag

It's not meant as "buy VIP to get whatever", it is meant as a thank you for supporting the community.

FFA Server

That server is running a dev version of new CoD4X server for testing purposes and is still broken, however it is close to being finished.

Lack Of Moderation

Anyone can apply for moderator but people simply aren't interested in such thing at the moment and sadly we can't be online 24/7. A discord bot (report function) might be added once new server is finished.

Leaderboards

Will be reset once new server is finished.

Trueskill

It's a gimmick, obviously it can't reflect a players' skill in a public match, where teams are horribly unbalanced and people join/leave all the time. KDA ratio could be added as it's a simple matter, but once again not before new server is finished.

Map Rotation & Voting

In short mapvote system is stupidly annoying to deal with so I don't see it changing anytime soon.

As for the map names, it should already show correct map names.

Global Server Lag

First time hearing about it actually, played a match today and couldn't notice a thing. In any case servers have been restarted so if there was an issue it is probably gone now.

11 hours ago, John Yuki said:

proper team balancing

Never gonna happen, it is impossible to balance a public match. 

13 hours ago, Jack said:

If they have things going on in their life then they shouldn't be somewhere were they have a big role to play, should they?

Edited by Joey

3 hours ago, leiizko said:

Some new servers will come soon, probably S&D.

Good start. I would still really like to see a more arcadey gamemode though so that people can just goand have some relaxing fun without essentially playing the base gamemodes. As I said something like Gun Game or a 24/7 server. It'll help with the issue of IceOps dying during European night time.

It's not meant as "buy VIP to get whatever", it is meant as a thank you for supporting the community.

I understand that, but that little donation goal bar has been static for literally like a year now, just sat at $465 or whatever it is. I'd like to see more people donating, and will donate myself when I get back to Uni and have money, so that server upgrades can be done and more servers added.

That server is running a dev version of new CoD4X server for testing purposes and is still broken, however it is close to being finished. 

Okay perfect. Once testing is done, will it be changed to the HC TDM settings so we can fly around the map?

Anyone can apply for moderator but people simply aren't interested in such thing at the moment and sadly we can't be online 24/7. A discord bot (report function) might be added once new server is finished. 

Discord bot would be fantastic. I could honestly create it myself if I had access to the chat stream from in-game. I know Python fairly well and have created loads bots in the past for Reddit, so Discord won't be too different. At least that would take some of the workload off you.

Will be reset once new server is finished. 

They need constant maintenance though. If a hacker gets on there they need to get wiped asap, and now just wiping every single leaderboard, as that is just unfair on people who got on there legit.

It's a gimmick, obviously it can't reflect a players' skill in a public match, where teams are horribly unbalanced and people join/leave all the time. KDA ratio could be added as it's a simple matter, but once again not before new server is finished.

KDA > Trueskill. It would definitely make people focus a lot more on their own stats which is ideal for TDM.

In short mapvote system is stupidly annoying to deal with so I don't see it changing anytime soon.

As for the map names, it should already show correct map names. 

It shows "farm" instead of Downpour, and "cargoship" instead of Wetwork. Here is a screenshot: zLMfr99.png

I know those were the pre-release names for the maps, but yeah, definitely should be changed to their post-release names.

First time hearing about it actually, played a match today and couldn't notice a thing. In any case servers have been restarted so if there was an issue it is probably gone now. 

If it happens again I'll record it and send it to you.

Never gonna happen, it is impossible to balance a public match.

This won't be an issue if players are ranked on the server by KDA (with a minimum of like 500,000 total score or something, to avoid hackers). Only reason I hate the team balance at the moment is because players are ranked by Trueskill. Replace TS with KDA and it's two birds with one stone.

Just now, John Yuki said:

Only reason I hate the team balance at the moment is because players are ranked by Trueskill. Replace TS with KDA and it's two birds with one stone.

I do not understand, but what will change if replace it?

38 minutes ago, VanZy said:

I do not understand, but what will change if replace it?

I want to win games because I want to increase my trueskill rating. It's currently the highest in the server at the moment, and I want to keep it that way. When I lose games because of poor team balance, my rating goes down. This is why losing is so frustrating.

If you make the rankings about personal KDA, it stops being about winning, and starts being about your own personal performance. So even if I go 100-15 but still lose, then it doesn't matter, because my KDA is the same whether I won or lost.

Also, having the rankings leaderboard displayed somewhere would be great, because currently there is absolutely no way to see a leaderboard for it.

Edited by John Yuki

Just now, John Yuki said:

I want to win games because I want to increase my trueskill rating. It's currently the highest in the server at the moment, and I want to keep it that way. When I lose games because of poor team balance, my rating goes down. This is why losing is so frustrating.

If you make the rankings about personal KDA, it stops being about winning, and starts being about your own personal performance. So even if I go 100-15 but still lose, then it doesn't matter, because my KDA is the same whether I won or lost.

Also, having the rankings leaderboard displayed somewhere would be great, because currently there is absolutely no way to see a leaderboard for it.

Got it. But as far as I understand, this does not affect anything, as soon as sorting players into teams. And yet, it certainly will not work perfectly.

29 minutes ago, leiizko said:

Hijacking for a bit:

Need map ideas for 3 map pools that depend on player size. Must have atleast 3 maps in each pool and player count range for each pool. 

Small ( < 9 ):

• Shipment
  • Killhouse
  • Showdown

Medium ( 9-16 ):

• Ambush
  • Backlot
  • Bloc
  • Bog
  • Broadcast
  • Countdown
  • Crash
  • Crossfire
  • District
  • Downpour
  • Overgrown
  • Pipeline
  • Showdown
  • Strike
  • Vacant
  • Wet Work

Large ( > 16 ):

• Ambush
  • Backlot
  • Bloc
  • Chinatown
  • Crash
  • Creek
  • Crossfire
  • Overgrown
  • Wet Work
Edited by John Yuki

2 hours ago, John Yuki said:

Small ( < 9 ):

• Shipment
  • Killhouse
  • Showdown

Medium ( 9-16 ):

• Ambush
  • Backlot
  • Bloc
  • Bog
  • Broadcast
  • Countdown
  • Crash
  • Crossfire
  • District
  • Downpour
  • Overgrown
  • Pipeline
  • Showdown
  • Strike
  • Vacant
  • Wet Work

Large ( > 16 ):

• Ambush
  • Backlot
  • Bloc
  • Chinatown
  • Crash
  • Creek
  • Crossfire
  • Overgrown
  • Wet Work

Couldn't of chose better in my opinion.

FFA server has been updated.

Changes (that I remember right now):

- Mapvote has been updated ( You can now move up and down the list, it now choses randomly if more maps have same amount of votes )

- Dynamic map rotation

- KDA system ( $stats )

- VIP is a bit more promoted now

- Changed best map stats to leaderboards at the end of the game ( shows top 5 ranked players globally, Trueskill based on FFA, KDA based on team games )

Changes will be moved to other servers once it proves to be stable and automatic system is made to remove banned players from the leaderboards. Obviously any more ideas are welcome.