leiizko

HC HighXP server update

Hey there everyone!

There is a huge update in the works and while at it I would like to get some community input on the current state of the server and any additional suggestions, ideas, problems to solve, etc.

A bit of a sneak peak on the bigger upcoming features:

• Ranks above 55, a "soft" prestige, 
  • Hardpoint (killstreak) selection, each player will be able to select 3 hardpoints he would like to use in a match.

I've been also toying with the idea of disabling nades for the first X seconds after a player spawns to reduce the spam cycle (spawn -> throw nade - > die -> repeat, all in very short amount of time)

The target date for the update is approx. end of the september, giving us enough time to implement requested changes and solve other problems.

- The IceOps Staff

Anything that increases the skill gap is good. This game is already so old and people are still camping with claymores & rpds tap-firing through walls. I have no problem with unsportsmanly behaviour, since I talk shit a lot myself, but terrible players taking up a slot in the server to sit in a corner somewhere is a waste when an actual active player going out and getting kills could be playing.

For the love of god yes please implement the nade delay. It's the #1 thing that would drastically improve playing on this server especially on maps like vacant and ambush where you just throw a nade off spawning and get 2+ kills immediately. It's so dumb.

Hardpoint shop is a great idea and I am looking forward to seeing that in action! It might solve the trouble of many players where they kill, for example, 3 opponents, get a UAV which they don't even get to use because they kill another 2 players in the next second. So, basically, the hardpoint item is lost by earning a new one.
Even though I like the idea of being able to select from 3 different hardpoint items, I think this could be improved even more. What if players were earning points instead of certain hardpoint items and in the "shop" they would be able to buy whatever item they want? The cost of each item would be dependant on the impact of the item - i.e. UAV would be the cheapest and AC130 most expensive.

One of my greatest concerns is campers. There are players who can literally spend all map in one corner where just a top of their head is visible and they are near to impossible to kill.
Would be nice to set up some limit on how long a player can stand within some radius. If some player exceeds the time limit, he'd get marked for all other players so everyone would know where he is. And a cherry on top - if he doesn't move even when marked, he'd just die after some time.

Ad nades - I don't know whether the delay would help. Players can just spawn and wait after the delay ends and throw the nade afterwards. I don't think this changes anything. What about if there was a longer spaw protection against nades? It happens so often to me that I spawn and I die immediately just because of some random nade exploding beneath my feet.
This applies to TDM, but I strongly believe that having a nade delay on S&D game-type is a step backwards. It ruins the overall game flow. In S&D, nades are mostly used to stop the rushers from reaching a certain position and by introducing the delay it makes it impossible to use them properly.

Another problem I am facing quite often is how the enemies spawn. They can literally spawn right behind you, but I am afraid there is nothing that could be done to address this issue.

And please, what is wrong with the hit registration? I find that pretty atrocious, to be honest.

My idea was to make second "TDM HC " server, decrease maximum player slots on both servers (for example 10vs10)

In that case we could play smaller maps, there will be not that much nades spam,airstrikes etc. In my opinion gameplay will be better,much more enjoyable

What you think about that?:)

Just now, TinkerBell said:

My idea was to make second "TDM HC " server, decrease maximum player slots on both servers (for example 10vs10)

In that case we could play smaller maps, there will be not that much nades spam,airstrikes etc. In my opinion gameplay will be better,much more enjoyable

What you think about that?:)

I like the idea of having more servers with way fewer slots, but 10v10 still seems a little too much. What about good old 5v5 or 7v7 at most? ;)
Some players prefer to play against a lot of people and some others prefer to play against just a few people (me included :P)

The camping issue: I've been thinking about a different kind of "anti-camp" system where the player would receive a damage penalty instead of killing him. So in a event he camps for too long, his damage will be reduced by some number, making wallbang kills very difficult. 

Nade issue: If delay doesn't help we can always try giving nades to people as 1 kill streak reward instead. This should eliminate a lot of nade spam.

The hardpoints: The shop that was described was already present on the server a while ago. People disliked it so we removed it. Right now it will work kind of like "select a class". You will have extra menu in which you will be able to set your hardpoint loadout. And since players will be limited to 3 hardpoints, we can let them keep previously earned, so no more wasting them.

Second smaller TDM server does seem like a nice idea. Perhaps switching the softcore one with 12 slot HC one.

2 minutes ago, leiizko said:

The camping issue: I've been thinking about a different kind of "anti-camp" system where the player would receive a damage penalty instead of killing him. So in a event he camps for too long, his damage will be reduced by some number, making wallbang kills very difficult.

This sounds good!

3 minutes ago, leiizko said:

Nade issue: If delay doesn't help we can always try giving nades to people as 1 kill streak reward instead. This should eliminate a lot of nade spam.

I really don't think the delay will help in any way, but it's wise to give it a try and see than just scratching the idea altogether. If it doesn't help, your idea with earning the nade for the first kill sounds like a great solution.

5 minutes ago, leiizko said:

The hardpoints: The shop that was described was already present on the server a while ago. People disliked it so we removed it. Right now it will work kind of like "select a class". You will have extra menu in which you will be able to set your hardpoint loadout. And since players will be limited to 3 hardpoints, we can let them keep previously earned, so no more wasting them.

Oh, I didn't know there was such shop in the past. I can't really imagine what it will look like now, but I am looking forward to trying it out ;)

8 minutes ago, leiizko said:

Second smaller TDM server does seem like a nice idea. Perhaps switching the softcore one with 12 slot HC one.

Cool!

Is there any chance of removing the map Ambush as well? That map is always a one-sided stomp in favour of the marines every single match I play on it. It is not fun for the losing or winning team IMO. I'm sure it could be put to a vote or something. All I know is that every single time I respawn I immediately die to a grenade/sniper/camping AR player because the spawns don't flip as easily as other maps  since it is a symmetrical 3 lane map on a 34 slot server. This only adds to the problem. It is a very unique map in the game and is fine in 6v6 matches but in 16 v 16 it is complete cancer to play in. Boring as the winning team and absolutely INFURIATING as the losing team.

3 hours ago, Sasta said:

Is there any chance of removing the map Ambush as well?

That's what I stated in the shoutbox, too. Absolutely not suited for this game-type with this player-count.

Most people hate it, but they can't seem to articulate why, I think I've done at least a half-decent job at it. The map is just a total cluster-f*** of RNG. I am someone who is top of leaderboard in about 95% of matches I play, even when I join late into a match, yet in ambush when I am OpFor I just don't stand a chance. I am middle more often than not. I'm not saying all this to brag or be cocky, just to point out how absurdly RNG the map is with such an insanely high playercount. The closest thing to it is Vacant. Every 5 feet you walk a nade goes off and kills you.

On 8/19/2019 at 10:55 PM, leiizko said:

The second HC server has been set. It has also disabled hardpoints and gl/rpg/c4/clays.

How about to reduce the number of slots on first hc server? 10vs10 seems fine in my opinion,same with second hc server. (so we will have 2 servers with 40 slots in total) 

I'd also love to see some promod server as IceOps used to have some years back. It had quite a unique community, I think. For what reason it was taken down anyway?

I think the S&D HC server should be changed into a promod s&d. its more popular and way more people like playing that way. the fact that there are guns like M21 sniper, LMGs and p90 makes the game experience Not-Pro! I think the pro players like to play Promod rather than TDM and having these guns around in the S&D server forces them to leave.

Oh yeah we actually do have Promod server.. why isn't it listed on forum server list tho?

Btw i'm not entirely sure if it is actually promod on it, and its wrong gamemode somehow.. it can be vote changed

Edited by CROdator

42 minutes ago, CROdator said:

Oh yeah we actually do have Promod server.. why isn't it listed on forum server list tho?

Btw i'm not entirely sure if it is actually promod on it, and its wrong gamemode somehow.. it can be vote changed

Should appear in the list soon.

My bad it was not running promod as it should be. I think I used it for something else long time ago and then forgot about it. But this is fixed now.

Not sure how everything works and my suggestions may sound crazy.

Is there a way that the server are able to monitor the amount of RPG/grenades/claymore  etc. that the players used and have it restrict them after they reach a limit? E.g. use 3 RPG/grenades/claymore per map per player (they will have to decide when the best time to use them during their game)

Restrict the use of them on small maps.

My suggestion about camping, -after 6 seconds a screen say "please dont camp" and after 3 more seconds gun disappear. until player move for a distance. at least in my cod4 clan this is how work. and everybody are happy, (but not campers)