Mighty Jayster

Lockdown Discussion

So as we are all aware, there has been this lovely virus going round called COVID or "rona" as people are calling it near me :D

And i won't lie, times right now are hard for key workers, and even for people who are not able to work at all and are fully stuck at home. Fortunately for me, I am a key worker so i have to keep working no matter what, but i work at a high risk. 

I thought I'd create a thread to get others opinions on how they feel and how think its going. And even if you just want to vent and ask for advice. We're a family here at IceOps and yeah may as well have a nice place to talk. 

So come on then, how we all feeling/doing? You working/not working? Lets get a convo going :)

And you know what, i may even share how i feel :D 

<3 

Now, as far as I'm concerned - I can still go to work, we can buy groceries and we can go for a walk - but within a maximum of 15 km from our home address. We're basically locked up ... There are also night curfews. (The exception to this is if you can prove that you are on your way to work) Otherwise, all other shops, restaurants, bars, hairdressers, zoos, everything related to culture - such as cinemas, theaters, museums - virtually EVERYTHING are closed. ... and that since Christmas. It is particularly bad that the childcare facilities and schools have also closed. There is a kind of home schooling via the Internet, which should be supervised by the parents at home ... - but that really sucks ... First of all, the lockdown should be limited to February 15th, but rumor has it it will lastuntil Easter ... but this would be worst for all these closed shops, service providers and cultural institutions.  
You really have to be careful that you don't to get stir-crazy
The winner in this situation seems to be Amazon and all these other online dealers... but the small shops and also the pubs around the corner will die...
When it comes to vaccinating people, we are totally behind other countries - but what is worse is the situation, that vaccine developed in Germany is first used in other countries ... we really feel ripped off ...
btw - have you already been vaccinated? How do you think about it?
Will you get a vaccination or are you more skeptical about vaccinations?  What do you think ?

Edited by Leon

The vaccination thing, the UK is doing well, I think we have over 11 million of our eldest had their first dose. 

The problems in Europe were cause by the EU apparently.. not securing enough doses quickly enough and stopping individual countries buying for themselves. Some say that we got out of the EU just in time. 

We are extremely lucky here in Perth Australia.
We did however had a case of local community transmission and automatically went into 5 days of strict lockdown.
We have since have no more local case but have to continue to wear mask until 14th Feb.  After this, if we don't have anymore local cases, we will be able to completely open up again and live life normally.
The only restriction we will have is 2 sqm social distance, no international travel and our big concerts etc will only allow 50% capacity.
I really feel very lucky to be here safe and really feel for all those going through such hard time.
Please all take care.

Hopefully the end to the toughest part of this all is now on the horizon with vaccines starting to arrive at the places they're needed. Each day that passes is 1 more day closer to normalcy. 
As for me, I'm just in a holding pattern of life right now. I've graduated university and I'm looking for work, but it's probably going to be a while still until I can get to where I want to work due to strict border restrictions which will last for... well, I have no idea how long. So I just keep doing what I can for now, both for my sanity and to prevent myself from spiralling into inaction.  

been working away from home, just as normal, been working from home for the last few years, so not much of a change there.

being part of the UK, everything is literally closed, we have strict rules not to meet anyone not unless outside, our restrictions are due to be lifted on the 5th March. 

been keeping in close contact with a number of friends who are furlough and live alone, keeping their spirits up. 

haven't been vaccinated yet!

just cant wait to get the pubs open again :thumbup: !!!!! 

hope everyone is keeping safe and well. 

On 2/7/2021 at 1:41 PM, Leon said:

and that since Christmas. It is particularly bad that the childcare facilities and schools have also closed

Yeah i can understand the frustration with that because i work in a school. I'm a Senior IT Tech in a Secondary school so i know how frustrating this can be with working from home and trying to educate from home. Its not easy but it is what it is...

On 2/7/2021 at 1:41 PM, Leon said:

btw - have you already been vaccinated?

Unfortunately not no. I did get the chance to but then my local council made a mistake in who they sent the Vaccination emails out to so that went down really really well as you can imagine.... 

3 hours ago, {AD}RedRose said:

I really feel very lucky to be here safe and really feel for all those going through such hard time.
Please all take care.

Very glad you are safe @{AD}RedRose as its not easy in these times but it does seem like Australia did the right thing with their lockdown. <3

19 minutes ago, Pacifist said:

just cant wait to get the pubs open again :thumbup: !!!!! 

Holy hell you can say that again........

1 hour ago, Duck said:

So I just keep doing what I can for now, both for my sanity and to prevent myself from spiralling into inaction.  

In a way, i really do feel sorry for people and you who are in the exact same situation @Duck. Having gone through the education that you have, to now have nothing and being stuck at home with these restrictions. It is rather harsh on the time you have spent. I mean don't get me wrong, it was well spent, but at the same time it does seem like a effort that has put you at a rather crappy stand still....

Glad you are doing good though mate.