Sign in to follow this  
mika

Rule Enforcement

Hi, Mika/Varatesh here.

A few days ago in the obscurity server we had a moderator smiting and kicking people for various offences without really giving a warning. He constantly refused to identify himself and used the console to chat, and when I questioned him on enforcing rules without identifying himself he kicked me. I had been kicked previously for saying the word "fuck" but I watched my language when I asked him to ID himself.

The moderator being really arbitary that night. He did arbitary stuff like smiting a random guy for blowing up my car bomb (insta smite on hearsay). Now, usually I'd be ecstatic at mods enforcing anti-griefing rules but this was truly an accident and the person apologized. Later on he had a tendency to smite people for accidental TKs, seems excessive but probably in the rules. This is all done without identifying himself after enforcing the rules.

Eventually I got kicked for swearing, come back ask him to ID himself, he dodges the question by linking to iceops.in through console and kicks me again (Believe i was obs when he did so, yay).

This isn't the first time I've seen mods here enforce rules in an arbitary fashion without identifying themselves. I admit, kicking me for swearing was perfectly legit but I question the second kick and the various smitings.

Shouldn't moderators publicly identify themselves when enforcing the rules? To me it seems like a system ripe for abuse if moderators aren't identifying themselves when using their powers. It's not exactly encouraging to write complaints or chat with admins when you don't know who to complain about.

Since this isn't a complaint about any specific moderator or a ban-appeal I'm putting it in this section.

Shouldn't moderators publicly identify themselves when enforcing the rules?

they can go undercover and change name's.

i've seen it to: you'r playing then there was a admin (undercover) called xdreme..> :) and he smite's gameover all the time, so we asked him to stop and to ID himself: he said: i'm someone,

my point: some admins think it's fun to smite friends of them, well they are in undercover.. but our gameplay is ruined by it every time the noice of lightning, we asked him to stop: no result

maybe u must make the rules more clearly for the obs server for admin and normal players

Later on he had a tendency to smite people for accidental TKs, seems excessive but probably in the rules. This is all done without identifying himself after enforcing the rules.

I was not the guy that kicked you, but I smote once a teamkiller. I had my chat disabled because I wanted to play some rounds without typing/reading all the time and just focus on the game.

I smote a guy that teamkilled me. Then 2 guys (the teamkiller and another guy, I believe that was you) asked why I smote him if he say sorry (opened the console after the kill).

YES, he said sorry, but for his stupidity I smote him.

I watched the Killcam, he followed me and tried with sniper 3 times to noscope with 360, jump etc and the 3th time hit me, then he said ":oooo" "sorrryyyyy", like if he was surprised that noscope hits too. :huh:

That is like you would kill 3 Marines with a RPG right after spawn and say "Sorry"... (We need a facepalm smiley)

Didn't see any other smotes, I just joined when that happened. Also that was all I did.

Down? :P

Smiting people which don't care and are friends is okay. But that is nonsense.

Also, accidental killers won't be smote, and victims won't be respawned. This must be added as the moderation rule.

sam, i don't agree with you, if you play on obscurity and a guy start teamkilling and there is a admin the admin has 2 choices:

1. kick

2. smote

then i think that choices 2 is the best or force them to spec

I was in that game too, at that moment. i did not smote people, i guess that was you (xmw116)

I did kicked you twice mika. both time with a good reason. the first was indeed for swearing (it was not just fuck) the 2nd was for flaming on random people trying to find the admin that kicked you. At that moment i did not wanted to reveal myself, so i told you to go to our forum if you thought u wer kicked for no good reason. because you did not stopped flaming and did not acted like a sane person i kicked you again, with the notice to go to our forum.

As i see it now you wer both smote and kicked for good reasons.

Edit:

A few days ago in the obscurity server we had a moderator smiting and kicking people for various offences without really giving a warning.

before i kicked you i also warned you at least 3 times..

they can go undercover and change name's.

i've seen it to: you'r playing then there was a admin (undercover) called xdreme..> :) and he smite's gameover all the time, so we asked him to stop and to ID himself: he said: i'm someone,

my point: some admins think it's fun to smite friends of them, well they are in undercover.. but our gameplay is ruined by it every time the noice of lightning, we asked him to stop: no result

maybe u must make the rules more clearly for the obs server for admin and normal players

First of all I wasn't the one who smote or kicked varatesh, please don't point fingers unless you are certain, and at first i did say I was someone but then I said who I was almost immediately, you were just not paying attention, as for wannafight, I did smote him a couple of times, first of all he was ok with it, we go long back, and it was basically a smite after an offense or something, I don't kick or make major decisions involving player just for fun. When I kick or ban it is for a specific reason. If you asked me stop I might have missed that. But I don't think that the QUICK sound of lighting would interfere.

And I would like to refer that arj was there, in a different name, I recall it since we banned some 1 called fort21 i think, xmw was not there and nether was umad, so don't go around pointing your finger without being certain.

And 1 last thing, I wasn't even online during the night.

wow, i'm not pointing fingers im just telling you guys something that i hate and for you smiting wannafight: you smite him 5-10 time in sequence and yes that annoys me verry hard.

and it doesn't matter if you guys go "long back", if you smite people 10 times in sequence you are ruining the game for me and maybe more players..

i just want to make a point that it irritate me, that's all so don't go in defence it's just stupid because i think smiting people for fun (even though you know them well) then you will lose your admin status?

Edit: isn't there a rule for mods that you can't abuse your powers?

wow, i'm not pointing fingers im just telling you guys something that i hate and for you smiting wannafight: you smite him 5-10 time in sequence and yes that annoys me verry hard.

and it doesn't matter if you guys go "long back", if you smite people 10 times in sequence you are ruining the game for me and maybe more players..

i just want to make a point that it irritate me, that's all so don't go in defence it's just stupid because i think smiting people for fun (even though you know them well) then you will lose your admin status?

Edit: isn't there a rule for mods that you can't abuse your powers?

Ófcourse there is, but if you dont report it they cant do anything about it can they?

If you see an admin abusing his powers, report it with proof.

Guest DeltaMX

You can search for UID in the server? no need for pbss. use $ministatus and open the console.

Guest arj

As Delta said, next time use $ministatus command and post screenshot, we will manage who is an admin :P

And that word, smite, is beautiful. Everyone has problem using it :D (luv my signature)

I was in that game too, at that moment. i did not smote people, i guess that was you (xmw116)

I did kicked you twice mika. both time with a good reason. the first was indeed for swearing (it was not just fuck) the 2nd was for flaming on random people trying to find the admin that kicked you. At that moment i did not wanted to reveal myself, so i told you to go to our forum if you thought u wer kicked for no good reason. because you did not stopped flaming and did not acted like a sane person i kicked you again, with the notice to go to our forum.

As i see it now you wer both smote and kicked for good reasons.

Edit:

before i kicked you i also warned you at least 3 times..

http://i.imgur.com/soy0NBg.jpg - Me "flaming" people when asking after admin. Using reasonable arguments = flaming according to your logic. Sadly didn't take any screens of log because I thought I only needed playerlist.

This was the language used before second kick. I asked you 2-3 times to identify yourself using such language. I did this because several people had been smitten by a mod before my kick. I agree that the first kick was perfectly reasonable and I deserved it.

However, me asking an admin who constantly was smiting people to identify himself is not unreasonable, especially when such language is used. Let me remind you that a random guy was (insta) smitten because he accidentally shot up a claymored car (mine) who apologized before the being smitten. I usually love mods that enforce rules against griefing (TKs, deliberate tags, destroying lasers, boobytrapped cars) but this was pretty arbitary.

In any case, is it too much to ask that a policy is made where mods identify themselves when they start using their admin console? I'm not asking people to give up aliases etc, only that they clearly identify themselves when they take action.

I firmly believe that mods will show more due diligence if they have to do it publicly under their own name.

As Delta said, next time use $ministatus command and post screenshot, we will manage who is an admin :P

And that word, smite, is beautiful. Everyone has problem using it :D (luv my signature)

That's not me in your signature, doesnt have my name in it.

GG.

Guest DeltaMX

Admins goes undercover because some players when an admin is not present start to break every known rule then when an admin comes he acts like an angel. Yes there are some admin abuses but there are much more players breaking the rules that's why we have a report section it is not only for players but also for moderators, and for my surprise just when an admin abuses his power or makes a simple mistake he is reported but when a player breaks a rule and keeps breaking it no much reaction from some of the players and some will be happy that he is doing this and asks an admin "why do you want to stop him?" and starts his mouth and says wrong things. team killers and others, hmm, someone who keeps following you and trying to shoot you down then it was an accident I don't think so.

Please when you try to report anyone bring evidence.

I wrote this post as I noticed lately people are trying to report admins and mods without any reason or proof.

Some of my posts doesn't relate to this situation.

Admins goes undercover because some players when an admin is not present start to break every known rule then when an admin comes he acts like an angel. Yes there are some admin abuses but there are much more players breaking the rules that's why we have a report section it is not only for players but also for moderators, and for my surprise just when an admin abuses his power or makes a simple mistake he is reported but when a player breaks a rule and keeps breaking it no much reaction from some of the players and some will be happy that he is doing this and asks an admin "why do you want to stop him?" and starts his mouth and says wrong things. team killers and others, hmm, someone who keeps following you and trying to shoot you down then it was an accident I don't think so.

Please when you try to report anyone bring evidence.

I wrote this post as I noticed lately people are trying to report admins and mods without any reason or proof.

Some of my posts doesn't relate to this situation.

I wonder why people never try defending the rule breakers when I'm there... :)

Guest DeltaMX

No it happens to me a lot even other day people talking about really inappropriate things (not in obs) I told them to stop and talk on xfire or anything else for that they started telling me are you gay and other **** I left and put my tag on came back and told them to stop they listened to me and didn't even try to debate it while when I was undercover started using ****..

Edit: They also know that you call yourself The Mean guy. :P

http://i.imgur.com/soy0NBg.jpg - Me "flaming" people when asking after admin. Using reasonable arguments = flaming according to your logic. Sadly didn't take any screens of log because I thought I only needed playerlist.

This was the language used before second kick. I asked you 2-3 times to identify yourself using such language. I did this because several people had been smitten by a mod before my kick. I agree that the first kick was perfectly reasonable and I deserved it.

Just 1 screenshot wich contains some proper language of you does not proof you wer this polite for the whole time of gameplay. I agree you also tried the normal polite way, but i reacted to that by talking to you with PM, trying to explain that if you thought u wer abused or anything you should go to our forum. After that you kept going and going, totaly ignoring me and later also my warnings.

Edit: plz dont act so sarcastic, the text on your screenshot is ofcourse not the ''flaming'' i was talking about.

No it happens to me a lot even other day people talking about really inappropriate things (not in obs) I told them to stop and talk on xfire or anything else for that they started telling me are you gay and other **** I left and put my tag on came back and told them to stop they listened to me and didn't even try to debate it while when I was undercover started using ****..

Edit: They also know that you call yourself The Mean guy. :P

You don't tell to stop. If someone is breaking the rules and you warn / kick / ban him, it is up to you. If someone else cuts in and goes a bit too far... :ban: