Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Deathrun Map Shortcuts - Allowed or Not?

I was just wondering if it's against the rules to use shortcuts like the ones in Bananaphone and Apocalypse?

I was previously under the impression that these were both forbidden, but now I've been told otherwise.

I've witnessed many people being kicked, then temp-banned as a result of using these cuts.

I personally assumed they'd be forbidden due to them allowing players to skip traps and ultimately complete the map at an advantage, but I want to know for sure.

Bananaphone: Waiting for activator to activate 2nd trap, and jumping onto it to skip parts of the map.

[attach=2418][/attach]

Apocalypse: Waiting for activator to activate 2nd trap, jumping onto it and strafing to the ledge to skip parts of the map.

[attach=2417][/attach]

As far as I'm aware, these are forbidden

I've been told by a couple of admins that it's not a rule.

Other have said they would punish players who did it.

Not sure whether I should bother reporting this offence.

On some maps these are left intentionally. On some other maps the developer(s) forget to fix the spot/didn't spot. That's why it's called exploit and should be punished for it.

On some maps these are left intentionally. On some other maps the developer(s) forget to fix the spot/didn't spot. That's why it's called exploit and should be punished for it.

I don't think the shortcuts on Bananaphone or Apocalypse are intentional.

What would the punishment be for exploitation?

I would allow them unless the shortcuts skip >= half of the map

The shortcuts you mentioned, not really 'shortcuts' but time savers as it takes some seconds for the traps to move away.

You wouldnt allow people to for example go on the roofs/out of map in backlot in SnD/HC/TDM would you? I consider these kind of the same principle, you get an advantage over those who do the map how it was supposed to be, therefore i feel punishment is justifiable for these kind of map exploits.

I would allow them unless the shortcuts skip >= half of the map

The shortcuts you mentioned, not really 'shortcuts' but time savers as it takes some seconds for the traps to move away.

They still allow the jumpers to get way ahead of the activator, effectively getting a free run for the rest of the map.