Sign in to follow this  
mibru

sneak peek

So, since i am getting confronted with several ppl asking how to reduce ping and improve the ingame experience, i created this post, just to enlight some heads. Some of you might already know what im about to write, but by other hand, others dont, so here it goes.

The obvious way to increase your Cod4 performance is to:

1 - Improving ur hardware/software;

2 - Improving ur broadband connection;

3 - both!

....but, that involves spending money!

Well, to give out an idea, i was rich but then i did the 3rd step mentioned above, and now im a poor. :-/

Since i dont want u guys to be also in a poor state, theres a simple solution that involves spending no money at all.

The solution is messing up with your CoD4's config_mp.cfg.

In a simple way u just need to input some commands in your CoD4 console that will eventually:

- improve registration boost;

- increase FPS gain;

- lower ping;

- no significant loss in eye candy (aspect of the ingame graphics).

Here is a hyperlink for u guys understand in detail:

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?Itemid=74&id=320&option=com_content&task=view [external site]

Below are commands that you can use in the CoD4 console. Get to the console by pressing the "¬" button on your keyboard while CoD4 MP is running. You don't have to be in game to use the console. You can be at the main menu screen. On my keyboard, that button is located above my Tab button. You must start all commands with "/". If you don't, the console will treat it like game chat.

Commands:

Draw your FPS on screen ( u can see ur FPS ingame):

/cg_drawfps 1

Draw your Lagometer on screen:

/cg_drawlagometer 1

Max FPS command:

/com_maxfps 0

Others:

/cg_fov "80" (GAMEPLAY)*

/com_maxfps "125" (FPS)*

/snaps "30" (REGISTRY)*

/cl_maxpackets "100" (REGISTRY)*

/cl_packetdup "2" (REGISTRY)

/rate "25000" (REGISTRY)

/sm_enable 0 (FPS)*

/r_drawdecals 0 (FPS)*

/cg_drawFPS "Simple" (FPS)

/cg_brass "0" (FPS)

/r_multigpu "1" (FPS)

/r_cachemodellighting "1" (FPS)

/r_cacheSmodellighting "1" (FPS)

/cl_mouseaccel "0" (MOUSE)

Now Type In Console:

/vid_restart

Notes:

*CG FOV :: Field of view, where the value is the angle of the circular arc that is displayed

on your screen. High values will make the game appear "fisheyed".

*MAX FPS :: This command limits your maximum FPS. You may ask why you would want to do this,

and the answer is that it will help the server from having lag confusion when your frame rate

has a sudden rise or fall. Run a timedemo, collect your average FPS and use that as the limit

for when you play on-line.

*SNAPS :: This is possibly the most important setting for getting a good connection.

Snaps setting determines how many updates you recieve from the server. 20 to 30 for

56K connects in quake series 40 for high speed internet im sure the same for cod. (30 is fine).

*MAXPACKETS :: This setting puts a limit on the maximum amount of packets that can be sent to

the server via the client. This setting is useful for people with slower modems. Obviously we

all have high speed connects so set to at least 100. Lower maxpacket settings i.e 30 lowers ping

on screen but at the cost of registration.

*SM ENABLE :: Turns off unique Shadows ingame, it boosts FPS more than most commands.

*R DRAWDECALS :: Turns off details on walls and objects, however Punkbuster will kick you off for this at this time.

There are two cmds: /com_maxfps 0 and /com_maxfps 125. I think the first one is not correct.

It is correct but it does exactly the opposite than what you'd want :D 0 basically unlocks the FPS, meaning that it will go up and down all the time, which can cause weird lag while playing online (especially with low FPS). If you have a beast PC it's not good either - after it reaches the very high numbers jumping is almost... impossible :D

Anyway, awesome job with the post, it surely will help a lot of people :)