Sign in to follow this  
dvda

Banned for skins? - Mar. 28 2013

1. |TF|dvda

2. Obs

3. 2710

4. 0

5. Admin accused me of hacking because I had skins

Xmw116 booted me from game after claiming I was hacking. I've played on one guid for years, and have somewhere around 2k hours played since the games release. I have NEVER been banned via PB, and have played on iceops servers MANY times. I have a demo of the gameplay prior to the ban, however I had been playing for a few hours before your admin banned me. He took screenshots (below) which showed my weapon textures & camo pack and said I was hacking.

I apologize if custom skins (like the THOUSANDS on FPSBanana & CFGFactory) aren't allowed, but it's not listed in your rules and it certainly isn't a cheat or hack. I called Xmw on this, and he is still talking to me as if I am a cheater or somehow broke the rules. If skins are not allowed that's fine, your server, and I have no problem playing without them. It gives me absolutely NO advantage over other players, and very few servers auto kick for skins (IceOps is NOT one of them).

PBSS Screenshots - Reason for ban

http://www.iceops.in/pbss/ss/0/0/0/2/7/1/0/1364461346.png

http://www.iceops.in/pbss/ss/0/0/0/2/7/1/0/1364458714.png

Conversation with XMW116 via xfire:

http://i.imgur.com/pJktSUT.jpg

If weapon/camo skins are against the rules, again I apologize. I did NOT mean to break your rules, and certainly would not insult iceops like that. I've been nothing but respectful and honest (even though I was being attacked by several players after I was accused) and hope to clear my name so I can continue to play.

(Thanks AEon for directing me here & being kind & helpful)

Regards,

Darrell

"dvda"

[edit: typo]

Again, it did not allow me to see obscurity or give me any advantage in the game. It changed the colors of my teammates uniforms; how is that cheating?! I also have a different sky, home page, etc.

If it is against the rules, it isn't listed anywhere and I was banned by you without warning. I understand you thought I was cheating, but I have proven that I was not. My GUID is clear as well.

Are you serious? Green allies give no advantage? Funny.

Maybe playing promod it would give me an advantage, but I'm on an obscurity server where ALL the mod files are downloaded from YOUR servers. I didn't run a program/exploit/glitch I changed the uniforms and weapon skins like I have said.

I was accused of being able to see the obscurity, hacking, etc. which is NOT true.

http://cod4.gamebanana.com/skins/79931

http://cod4.gamebanana.com/skins/79933

Two skins that I have. NOT a cheat, NOT listed in your rules.

All I am asking for is a warning, I was banned for cheating and I wasn't - how is that justified?

EDIT: I also offer to join any server of your choosing, with or without skins, and will show it does not affect my gameplay. Like I said I run a gaming rig with high FPS, a fast connection, and do not need any sort of advantage or cheat to win.

these kind of skins were used in zombie mods to cheat but i think this one is different and meant no harm atleast not as much as other hacks.At first when i saw the ss i also thought maybe it showed obs or smth and discussed with xMW116 and we thought its giving him unfair advantage. dvda gave me the demo and it doesn't show obs any different then they are meant to be although players look different and have no camouflage but as our rules don't specify the use/abuse of skins and he seems like a good guy,is apologizing and has clear GUID.He is willing to never use skins again, i think we can give him a second chance and update our rules.

these kind of skins were used in zombie mods to cheat but i think this one is different and meant no harm atleast not as much as other hacks.At first when i saw the ss i also thought maybe it showed obs or smth and discussed with xMW116 and we thought its giving him unfair advantage. dvda gave me the demo and it doesn't show obs any different then they are meant to be although players look different and have no camouflage but as our rules don't specify the use/abuse of skins and he seems like a good guy,is apologizing and has clear GUID.He is willing to never use skins again, i think we can give him a second chance and update our rules.

Maybe he should have a second chance if he cant see the Obscurity with this skins.

The skins really looked like chams and I thought you could also see the Obscurity with that, thats why I insulted you, so sorry about that.

But the skins are still not allowed. Like in the picture you can see the players really easy even if they are in the grass etc...

And if you are obscurity, you see the survivors really good that makes it easier for you. Also like Delta said, what if the Obscurity possed someone?

But if there is poss does the skin change?

Can you specify what you mean?

Basically the skins are .iwi files that players create in photoshop (example: weapons, camos, sky, barrels, cars, buses, etc.) and replace the default textures. You drag them into your 'main' folder in your install directory, and they load when the game starts. It's pretty fun, once you play the game for a while it gets boring looking at the same old stuff. Doesn't change how the game functions, just the aesthetics like I said earlier.

I got most of them from here - a COD4 mod website.

http://cfgfactory.com/skins/?game=cod4

I attached a demo so you can see the game from my perspective with skins (prior to my banning). It's quite obvious I am not cheating.

Thanks.

Edit: I appreciate the reply & apology xMW, I really just wanted to clear my name not start trouble or question your judgement. I realize that it looked suspicious, and would've done the same thing in your position. Not sure about the possession, don't think I've ever seen that. I've removed the skins and can confirm that via PBSS if the ban is lifted.

Guest DeltaMX

But still It would give you some kind of advantage.

Plus if a obs posses a player the skin would change wouldn't it?

When obs possess someone they look like mario/luigi whatever that is, just like in normal conditions when they possess players they look like players and yes this skin gives advantage in this way that the players have nearly no camouflage and can be seen from afar due to bright colors.

It might be an advantage on a sniper mod or something, but Obs is all close combat where the colors are useless (not mentioning all the Obs tracking features that allow tracking through walls).

I didn't mean to break any rules you have, and wasn't trying to give myself an edge. Sorry if it seemed that way, I assure you my gameplay won't be affected.

Guest arj

But if playing as obscurity aren't those skins helping to chase survivors? I know how sometimes its hard to find one last survivor, and its part of game (scent mask and camos). And I died a lot of times from snipers whose i did not notice, but with that pack of skins it would be much easier.

How about that point of view?

But if playing as obscurity aren't those skins helping to chase survivors? I know how sometimes its hard to find one last survivor, and its part of game (scent mask and camos). And I died a lot of times from snipers whose i did not notice, but with that pack of skins it would be much easier.

^ Thats what I already said in my previous post. Its an advantage if you are Obscurity. You can see the survivors easy, even if they are hidden in grass, play dead etc..

Guest DeltaMX

Gaining an extra advantage is obvious I think at this point then. And If u show all this to any one he will consider it as have an "advantage" over th other players.

Assuming that it is not an "advantage", why would you bother to use it on the server? Knowing that it is some sort of cheats.

I believe that this ban should NOT be removed.

What this comes down to is my intent, which certainly wasn't cheating. It isn't a model hack, your server doesn't kick for skins, and regardless of what you guys think it did NOT give me an advantage. I didn't have the intention of gaining an advantage, and I didn't even get a warning.

The other ban that had skins like mine were on a Promod Live server, so you're comparing apples to oranges. I thought Mario & Luigi would be cute, and since it was already a modded server with humans vs obscurity I figured what would be the issue? I don't even remember if the Marines/OpFor camo showed up red/green as obscurity, that's how little I paid attention.

I was banned for chams (still not sure what that means) and I proved I didn't run some sort of hack or program giving me assistance, and I proved my intention was simply to have fun. Like I said, I offered to remove the skins (which I did anyway) and play without them. My gameplay will NOT be affected, as you can clearly see by the demo I uploaded.

Just to tell you we rate this as a gamehack. And this is not allowed here and don't require an extra rules which forbidds modelhacks.

Also we operate a so called "pure" server. If you need that go to an impure server. There it is allowed.

I understand that now, but it would be nice to receive a warning or an explanation of your rules before I get perm banned for changing the colors of my team mates camo!

It is NOT a game hack, model hack, or anything of the sort. I already gave you links to THOUSANDS of custom skins (some silly, some serious) that people use everyday and are probably still on your servers RIGHT NOW.

Your admin was mistaken, I was banned for something I didn't do, and he even apologized to me regarding his mistake. It has been clear in my conversations prior to my ban, after the ban, and right now that I had NO intention of cheating, or breaking any rules.

Assuming that it is not an "advantage", why would you bother to use it on the server? Knowing that it is some sort of cheats.

I believe that this ban should NOT be removed.

Like I said I have been playing the game for several years, and got bored of the regular textures. For example I can change the color of the sky, my scope lens, etc. etc.

It is NOT "some sort of cheat" it is a skin created with photoshop that you can drag and drop into your "main" folder. Punkbuster DOES NOT ban for skins, only specific servers.

The camos/scent mask put into the game by obscurity are NOT changed by my skins, only the default Marine/Opfor camo. Ghillie suits, snow camo, etc. stay the EXACT SAME.

Okay, I totally understand this counts as hacking. This skin surely gives advantage when you are playing as obscurity. But it is not like wallhack or aimbot. As far as I know I've never met dvda but as I read here I think he is willing to stop using skins or already has. I think we may give him another chance. As he said he was not aware he was hacking, which is not an excuse but I think a permanent ban is harsh. Maybe a temp ban is a solution?

Gz minQ

I agree with minQ.

Even I didn't know that custom skins weren't allowed. It's not like I support hackers but this guy wasn't aware and it's not totally a hack. Shouldn't be a permban in my honest opinion. I'm asking for another chance for this guy, he seems to be a decent guy.

Peace.

EDIT:

You mean that this didn't help you at all?

http://www.iceops.in/pbss/ss/0/0/0/2/7/1/0/1364455752.png

It's like you said that /r_gamma wasn't allowed because it was helping you see in the darkness.

Thanks to those who didn't jump to conclusions; I'm well aware of your rules now and hope I get a second chance to prove my legitimacy.

To be fair people after doing some research people HAVE made custom skins which are clearly for the purpose of cheating (video below). Therefore, it makes sense to ban them altogether - although I still stand by my good intentions. Sorry to anyone I offended or upset; I hope to come back on good terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu8DghNBL5s

Maybe if we can put this behind us I'll put in an application; I'm an IT student and bittorrent connoisseur which could prove useful. I went ahead and hooked AEon up with a private tracker invite for helping me through this process.

Regards,

Darrell

dvda