Sign in to follow this  
Down

Alright, Suggestions incoming.

Alright, we all know that Deathrun is Indeed one of our populated mods at this moment.

Still the head-admins are not really interested in updating the mod though,

I know it requires alot of work, but you'll gain more players by doing so.

My first suggestion is to bring calling a free-run back into the mod,

This is orginally placed in there to give the activators a chance to knife them,

as most of the people shoot nowadays and with plus-minus 20 players shooting on you

It's pretty much impossible to get a kill.

Also the reason why the freerun got removed is due people calling a freerun yet they could still activate.

But it's possible to fix it, and I believe it's still an improvement.

Funny fact is that i did activate the Free run option for 1h in our 1.2 server the other day. Most player didint like it. I also do vote agaisnt with probably a few players in the server.

''Few players'' wouldnt be suprised if it's 4 people you're talking about.

But no matter, I know for instance that the ''oldschool'' players would like to see this option back.

Ofcourse the ''new generation'' isn't used to having a freerun and will disagree with it regardless.

Guest DeltaMX

Free run - We see no real reason to bring it back

Someone in charge of adding maps - He should know a thing or two about scripting to check the script for rcon stealing or w/e

Newer dr mod - nnj is working on one?

I did it on the server with 23 people on. 1st map was on epic fail 90% of them complained about it and didnt even activate the freerun when they give it to people. I am a oldschool Deathrun player and think it was good then, but now players does freerun no matter what, it is there fault if they dont know whats gonna happen if somebody like me comes first and kill them with my gun or choose a room he dosnt like.

1. The big fact is that we need new things added to the deathrun server.

2. 1.3 i dont know shit if thats real or not just add new things to the server sprays weapons etc.

3. I play dr a lot i have been playing for about 2 years now and i have stuck with iceops the whole way and not many updates have been added just add something.

Thank you for your time and reading my little preach :P

Thank The Lord

I could do the map adding job but i wouldnt know how to upload them (no linux experience) Unless its the same as windows in that case i can check script with a ff decompiler and i know how to add to rotation.

Guest Spoof

Late to the discussion, hopefully no-one minds me chipping in now.

The latter two suggestions seem generally well-received, so my attention turns to the highly-debated question: should free run exist?

Free run offers a chance to level the playing field of the final battle for many maps (e.g. Long, Liferun and Indipyramid) which is good, especially for newcomers. One may think adding an additional feature would give players more, unfortunately this is not the case; in fact, the work of many a mapper would be made almost-redundant if the way the game was played returned to its original state. I'm talking, of course, about traps that are activated.

A common complaint of players during free run was that it was used too frequently, resulting in a fairly mundane, repetitive, speed-run-esque gameplay. Though the speed-run feel had its place within the community, shifting the competition from between the jumper and activator to between jumper and jumper. Ideally, the game would have a split between activators who activated regularly (say 60%), giving players the chance to: out-smart the activator by avoiding traps, die a lot more frequently and most of all experience the map as it was intended. The remaining activators (40%) would mainly choose free run, allowing: an opportunity for players to compete with one another, practice of an easier version of the maps and allowing players to take their time.

A possible method in which this could be achieved might be to implement a free run option for those levelled 1-14 but have it removed for those levelled 15-30, giving lower-levels the opportunity to remove the guns of the jumpers. An obvious flaw is that a player can easily reset their ranks, should they wish to.

Another possibility may be to randomly generate some number between 0 and 1 when picking an activator. If the number is <0.6 they do not have the free run option and for >0.6 the option is given.

These would obviously involve some amount of work to plan, construct and implement, but they may offer some variety.