Sign in to follow this  
the mean character

HOW I LOWER MY PING?

well guys i had a problem. my ping is always high like 180 then with the new obs ip >i got higher ping like 270 to 350

i turn off most the graphics and still my ping so high .I think the mean reason is the distance because I'm from Dubai and this server from Germany .Kenai told me and gave me a solution that i should move closer to Germany >>really funny kenai xD >>no other solutions guys ?

Dafuq Did I just read!?!?!? The only way to lower your ping is to 1. Get better net or 2. Move to europe.

Grpahics have nothing to do with ping.

I live in the UK and I get about 20-40 ping on Deathrun and Softcore Aven american servers I get 80 ping because I have good internet

Guest DeltaMX

Get better Internet and better computer. That's the main things I guess.

Edit: staab I if you have a poor computer you will expire nice lag with your resolution and other setting high.

well i play with my mac lap so if any one have a link for cod4 for mac pls tell me =)

that's wat u mean? and u can google it btw :P

Guest arj

Leto, you are really using mac? :D

rumor has it that some commands as /r_drawdecals 0 will reduce your ping by 0.01% :D

The only real way is to move closer, which is impossible in most cases ofc.

Better PC would help only if your PC is veeeeery slow. And I mean so slow that it can barely run CoD4. On the other hand, then, with 10fps on all low, high ping is your smallest problem ^^

It has nothing to do with your computer. The only solution I see at the moment is to swap to another ISP. Unfortunately some ISPs outside Europe have operate high latency connections. If your ISP has more than one choice (2 lines he can pass the connection through to Europe it is random but fixed which one gets used for a defined IP-Subnet. If it is the high latency connection...

Okay 3 options you have:

1st reconnect your modem (in case you get a different ip-address by doing this). If you get an own IP-Address from a different subnet it can help that also the connection has the lower latency.

2nd Asking the ISP to change his routing table (if he can do so) so that you get lower latency to the IP of our new server. The same latency like to our old server must be possible ad the stay quite close to each other. I think it won't do anything as the will probably not do this on behalf of a single customer.

Our IPs: old 84.38.75.157 new 176.31.106.44

3rd You change your ISP. Before you do this it is better to find somehow out which IP-Subnets they assign to their customers as we can check the latency with this knowledge.

So that are the options you have. We unfortunately we can't change something on this as my contract got dismissed from providerside and we were forced to get a new server. We can also not know who get positive affected and who negative when we get a new server.

Nope.

cl_packetdup 0

Is to prefer usually.

To send 5 packets doesnt help to reduce latency. It is only helpfully if you really have packetloss. Otherwise it will just limit the amount of client commands you can send each second.

Your new pc will not fix this issue.

Anyway there is still a 4th possible solution: Getting an additional IP for the server from different subnet could help too, but I don't want to pay the additional Euro each month.

let me try to do what ninja told me first. i guess someone told me the same before .

about getting an additional IP for the server.

Use some tunnel/proxy service that fits for ur area.

What I have seen yesterday on Obscurity server your ping was jumping always from 130 to 400. That is not a routing problem. Looks more like a connection overloaded problem or usage of a bad mobile network. Do you download too much ?

You could check your internet connection speed for starters. If you're connection, at any point, is wireless (i think u have Wifi aren't u using laptop?) there are many concerns. The connection may have interference and thus lose reliability and speed. Otherwise it could also be the server on the other end.use LAN connection Perhaps the connection the server uses is under an increased traffic load?.

You could check your internet connection speed for starters. If you're connection, at any point, is wireless (i think u have Wifi aren't u using laptop?) there are many concerns. The connection may have interference and thus lose reliability and speed. Otherwise it could also be the server on the other end.use LAN connection Perhaps the connection the server uses is under an increased traffic load?.

Connection speed has next to nothing to do with latency (known as ping), which is simply the time in ms (1s = 1000ms) which it takes the signal to travel between 2 machines, in this case from you to the server and back. Wireless connection causes minor latency differences indeed, in my case not more than 10ms at any case.

The interference would be a problem indeed, but that would cause packet-drop instead of higher latency (high packet drop might cause high ping, but punkbuster would be kicking him for 'loosing key packets').

Finally - his ping was OK on the old server and is a lot worse on the new one. Might be a coincidence, but highly unlikely. I think, same as Ninja did earlier, that it is a routing problem, or maybe as you mentioned 'the connection the server uses is under an increased traffic load', but that's almost impossible unless there is a huge DDoS going on all the time. Easy way to check - play at different times of day (maybe try at night and check the ping?).

Also, please post results of this test.

For example, here's my result:

80314164.png