Sign in to follow this  
Lookout

FPS lagg spikes (although internet is fine, no ping issues)

Hey everybody,

since 2 days I experience lagg-spikes due to my fps dropping to 43 (from usually 125-200 fps) on the obscurity server while my ping remains in the range 40-45. These fps-laggs appear every 3-5seconds and when being obs, it's even every2-3 seconds...

I assume it has to do with my graphic card? I am not that sure and bothers me too. Since 2 years I didn't have this problem.

Long story short, It is quite impossible to play like this :'(

I will clean all the hardware this Weekend and just hope it goes away :D

Every help is appreciated! :thumbsup:

Thx,

Looky

I installed updates on my graphic card, but the fps-lagg spikes where there before I updated. I updated it because I thought the fps-lagg spikes occurring.

I cleaned my whole computer, including graphic card. (Build off the fan, cleaned it, freed it from dust)

I really don't know what to do now. Graphic card is not overheating, i checked it.

Either I try some graphic settings now or install COD4 new again.

If any1 has any ideas on how to fix it, please let me know.

To make sure it's not overheating u can run a program (for got the name). It will log the heat of everything. So run it then play cod and watch after 30 min if the heat is much higher. Else I've no idea.

Do you have a name for that programm?

Besides the heat will rise when I am in game, but that is normal (compared to state doing nothing). I looked around in other forums what heat is normal for graphic cards; but that's not it.

Like I said, cleaned it and still the problem.

I'll look further for some ideas and keep you posted.

Untill then, ideas are still appreciated! :)

Well overheating effects will not have effect immediately when you have started a game. Also they will not have so much effect when you cap your com_maxfps at for example 60.

I had the same problem when I did run Windows XP on my computer. I did never found out why it was so. When I had Windows 7 this issue gone.

I am using Windows 7. ;) Currently no updates though.

NVIDA GeForce8600 GT is my graphic card btw ^^

I know it's not the best, but it does his job. ;)

Tomorrow I will buy some thermal paste and see if the cooldown helps.

Hello, maybe it's not my busyness, since i am not a member... but i have some experience with such issues, since my pc also had the same issues...

I got some suggestions for you, if you like, you can follow...

As you say you cleaned your pc, (dust and so on) indeed some thermal paste could help!

Besides that, as Ninja said above, check out if you got your FPS locked.

The most important part as i can see now, are the settings. In your graphics menu, there are some options that would really make your FPS go from 250 to 30, Try running your game while having some, or all the options disabled and see the difference, also take into consideration that with bigger resolution you get less FPS... In case you need a custom FPS configuration, I have one good that really improoves FPS personally from me ~100+.

The programm joker mentioned above, is a nice way to track your temperatures. I got one similliar, but it's just a gadget, and works fine, and has an option to log your temperatures, load, memory and speed ofc. The link for it is here

Let me/us know if you have found any issues of if it got fixed by settings!

Thx for your input DWChris!

I will try your ideas as soon as I have some time. Currently I am overwhelmed with work, but as soon as I find some time, I will check it out and let you know the results!

Thanks again for the ideas!

Thx for your input DWChris!

I will try your ideas as soon as I have some time. Currently I am overwhelmed with work, but as soon as I find some time, I will check it out and let you know the results!

Thanks again for the ideas!

did u increased ur fps in console ? (com_maxfps 120)

recommaded for you to use (if u on low pc) razer game booster:

Download: http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

hope its helps

@Lookout: take your time, wish your work will be easier tho,good luck with it!

@ROOT: NONONONONO razer gamebooster does exacly the opposite of what it says, had 200FPS, a friend suggested it and with it I had less than 150 when running through it.

They say that it frees some RAM for you to run the game, tho if you have like 4GB what else to free, trust me on that, never worked with any game i used it with...

Ok, I locked my fps at 125 and applied some thermal paste on the grafic card.

It got better, but is not completely gone.

My guess now is to apply thermal paste on the GPU (quad core). However, to seperate the fan from the GPU is a major undertaking which I will try to do next Weekend.

I also turned everything to low or off in the graphic settings. So that is not what is causing it (no differences).

I'll keep you posted ;)

Lowering the graphics, cleaning the system, formatting nor using boosters will not help you to fix it. It's 90% related with the graphics card. I have the same problem. I used to get 900+ fps at cod4 with the highest graphics. Now, never can get higher than 120. Having FPS drops all the time. This problem is at every game, even while playing videos, it stutters. I'd also like to know the actual reason when you find it out.

@Sam, hello, i tottally respect you, but actually, cleaning the system and lowering the graphics does help! But i have to agree with you about boosters, indeed they don't do anything.

Good that you tried the thermal paste, but there is another thing that may cause issues, Do you use your GPU or CPU for PhysX, you can check that through your NCP (nVidia control panel) under the 3D settings. Check out if it's set to "CPU" or "GPU", in case it is set to "automatic selection" try tweaking and play with it...

I said the above because usually if you're using your CPU while doing some other CPU intencive process, it may cause lagg spikes

This issue is not about the graphics settings. I don't think, I know lowering the graphics does not help. Well, cleaning of course helps but does not fix this problem.

Addition: Yet, lowering the graphics settings make the fps worse. Causes more lags

I am using Windows 7. ;) Currently no updates though.

NVIDA GeForce8600 GT is my graphic card btw ^^

I know it's not the best, but it does his job. ;)

Tomorrow I will buy some thermal paste and see if the cooldown helps.

I use a program called 'MIS Afterburner' for my Nvidia GPU, It lets you overclock it, Adjust how your GPU Fan operates, And you can controll how fast you want your fan to be at (% that is) Here is the link for it if you ever want to try it out. (Sadly I don't know if it's covered by ALL Nvidia Graphics cards.)

Thanks man, I will check it out!

There are actually better GPU's out there for a very cheap price. I might have to get a new GPU as I've been getting some BSOD's. I might just have to reseat it and unplug/replug it back in and clean the heat sink/fan on it xD

This issue is not about the graphics settings. I don't think, I know lowering the graphics does not help.

Addition: Yet, lowering the graphics settings make the fps worse. Causes more lags

Go home, you're drunk...

While playing on HD

hd.png

While running a custom CFG

cfg.png

Are we talking about Lookout's system or yours?

Lookout's ofc but your reply that lowering the graphics would make you lagg couldn't stop me from posting the above... Srsly, even the best PC on HD will still have low FPS because of the sync with screen

Guest Ares
Are we talking about Lookout's system or yours?

Lookout's ofc but your reply that lowering the graphics would make you lagg couldn't stop me from posting the above... Srsly, even the best PC on HD will still have low FPS because of the sync with screen

1. Disable vsync

2. ???

3. Profit

Activating vsync locks the fps to the refresh rate of your screen, doesn't it?

@DWChris, we are not talking about the best nor the worst PCs here, we are talking about the problematic systems which are mine and Lookout's.