Sign in to follow this  
TheKelm

[IMPORTANT] Delta toolbar / Delta homes

Hello,

Recently more and more people get infected with this 'looks like nothing serious' piece of malware. Do not let that fool you, it is supposed to be hard to notice and after noticing, it is supposed to make you think it is nothing dangerous at all.

How to know if I am infected?

That is pretty simple, open any web browser on your PC and check the address of the website that automatically opens. If it contains the word 'delta'

(usually Opening those links is not recommended!

http://delta-toolbar.com or http://delta-homes.com).

If the address is different (or is not there at all) then you are most likely not infected by this nasty piece of malware.

How to get rid of it?

Download and run adwcleaner. It should clean your PC from the infection in most cases. If you are not sure how to use it or think that it didn't help, please reply in this thread.

Okay, but why should I even bother?

Most people say "It only sets my homepage, I can live with that". Sure you can. Although, the way this malware operates (hidden, embedded in browser and hard to get rid of) suggests that it has more goals than simply annoying you. It might as well steal your passwords and credit card numbers, along with other data you store on your PC. This is not confirmed, but do you really want to find it out on yourself, especially that removing this crap takes max 15 minutes?

How to not get infected?

When installing software from the internet, download it only from official sources. When installing, always select 'advanced installation' mode (if present) and deselect all checkbox mentioning installing 3rd party software (browser toolbars and 'pc boosters' mostly, in most cases you don't want those on your PC, trust me). This does not prevent all infections but will surely reduce them to a minimum.

Guest arj

I remember that I downloaded once 'pc-super-boost-and-fix', I was 15, and I really believed that it will help me, lol.

5 min of trying it to work, then 1 hour uninstalling.

Just avoid all kind of 'downloaders' which "helps you to download sth".

Pfft I have chrome without any toolbars and my only extension is adblock. People should really use a superior browser if they don't want to get malware.

Pfft I have chrome without any toolbars and my only extension is adblock. People should really use a superior browser if they don't want to get malware.

Easy to say. I use chrome. I did not install ANYTHING for a month now, earlier only reliable programs from official websites. Yet, yesterday this very malware showed up on my pc. Probably went through teamviewer...

I use Firefox with ad-block. I never install S**T which some websites offer to make your pc better. I always install programs in custom installation mode and un-check things like :

1) Set my homepage to ...

2) Install this sh*t, it works great with our program ....

3) I agree to the terms.... ( now there are two types of terms and conditions that programs offer. one type is where the program shows you there own terms and conditions which must be accepted before installation. The second type is where the terms are to install sh!t and crapware on your pc and you can install the original program even when you don't accept these ones. example : Installation of utorrent.

I never had any problems with my windows and never had any virus that did any damage to my pc. Even thought i have lots of games (If you know what i mean :D). I run 3 security software : Avira + Malware bytes + Microsoft Security Essentials.

Guest Ares

I use Firefox with ad-block. I never install S**T which some websites offer to make your pc better. I always install programs in custom installation mode and un-check things like :

1) Set my homepage to ...

2) Install this sh*t, it works great with our program ....

3) I agree to the terms.... ( now there are two types of terms and conditions that programs offer. one type is where the program shows you there own terms and conditions which must be accepted before installation. The second type is where the terms are to install sh!t and crapware on your pc and you can install the original program even when you don't accept these ones. example : Installation of utorrent.

I never had any problems with my windows and never had any virus that did any damage to my pc. Even thought i have lots of games (If you know what i mean :D). I run 3 security software : Avira + Malware bytes + Microsoft Security Essentials.

It is actually recommended to use only 1 antivirus with real time protection since it could happen that 2 antiviruses try to move an infected file to the chest or delete it at the same time and that could lead to a conflict between them.

I use avast as a real time shield and malwarebytes for scanning and removing the virus.

Nasty browser hijacker! i got delta homes redirect last week somehow, although i did not install any programs last month.

I tried several free antivirus but no luck and searched a lot.

Then i found this delta homes removal tutorial: http://www.virus-delete.com/en/guides/browser-hijacker-removal/how-to-remove-delta-homescom-through-isafe-virus-removal-tool.html

Finally i removed this browser hijacker and would like to share it here to see if it helps to others.

It is actually recommended to use only 1 antivirus with real time protection since it could happen that 2 antiviruses try to move an infected file to the chest or delete it at the same time and that could lead to a conflict between them.

I use avast as a real time shield and malwarebytes for scanning and removing the virus.

Multiple antivirus programs with active protection running at the same time on one machine can DAMAGE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM. Just pick one...

@nuckyluy

The thread starter got it also on other ways than installing software. How is not really clear.

Yup, I suspect I got infected during a teamviewer session (other end was infected). Actually funny how there is no way to hide from malware nowadays...

Guest DeltaMX

Well I know this might irrelevant to Delta toolbar but there is another thing like it called qvo6.

Well I know this might irrelevant to Delta toolbar but there is another thing like it called qvo6.

There are millions of similar malware, this one is the most popular though I think. Also this is the one that infected me without me installing ANYTHING...

Guest DeltaMX
There are millions of similar malware, this one is the most popular though I think. Also this is the one that infected me without me installing ANYTHING...

This was installed to a new pc without me doing anything I don't know how.

I would prefer Firefox. There you are able to download a plugin called "NoScript". This plugin avoids automatic downloads and any other running of a script on any website.

So, you'll be able to avoid hidden downloads.

I would prefer Firefox. There you are able to download a plugin called "NoScript". This plugin avoids automatic downloads and any other running of a script on any website.

So, you'll be able to avoid hidden downloads.

Downloads would at least SHOW. Even if started with javascript. And trust me, I always notice such things. Yet, one day I have a clean PC and go on teamviewer to help a friend (then find out he has that malware), the other day I have that crap on my PC...

3qdfnr.jpg

The fact that your repeating the words "Don't click on that link", makes me even more willing to actually do it.

That is called reverse psychology. Also, was not intended :P

PS. NECROMANCYYYYY