CROdator

Field of view - FOV

Now, I hear a lot of complains about something wrong with hit reg, can someone tell me what is that about?

Some people suggested that it's because of the servers FOV locking "feature"..
So now I'm asking here who else has issues with any of these issues and should we do something about it.

I've hated this "fov" command from ever since it was implemented by leiizko I think.
Recently I saw that there is an "fovoff" command to turn it off, but it doesn't really work.

My choice would be to just delete this thing if it's messing with multiple things,
and it's making everything complicated.

People usually like to make their own choices on field of view and scale of it,
depending on monitor and resolution and such. And usually its not so complicated..
-For example you would usually use /cg_fov 80 for field of vision of 80 degrees or
use /cg_fovscale 1 for scale of 1 so it doesn't look like you are on mushrooms.

But here you cant change cg_fov because its locked to 80, unless you use "fovoff",
so you want to turn it off, but here's the thing..
You see, to be able to turn that feature off you need to
-set your fov and fovscale outside of server,
-then connect and hope it doesn't change, then you realize it did change to "default" as it does every time,
-use "fov" command three times to switch fovscale to 1.0, which makes no sense as its fov command and not fovscale command..,
-then use "fovoff" command to turn the darn thing off
-and then use "cg_fov" command to switch to desired fov.
-and then you realize... it is still not as you want because fovscale is set to 1.25 when you use "fovoff" command.. and better yet, its locked to that value..
So basically you did a lot just to notice that you didn't do nothing, and can't do nothing about it.

And then you remember that, without the "fov" server command everything would work as it should, without the locks and complications.

Edited by CROdator

I've heard many complaints about hitreg and when asked to provide an example (video, demo) everyone goes quiet. They probably see they just plain missed and thought they hit in the heat of the moment.

To disable forced fov simply type "$fovoff". I've just tested it and it works just fine (it does reset cg_fovscale to 1 fyi), you type it once and you are free to change cg_fov cvar to whatever you like. Server will not force higher fov unless you type "$fov" again. 

Then feel free to send them to me via PM. However the videos / demos must be taken in last 6 months and video must be in high quality (demos prefered for this reason). Lagometer on screen is also very welcome.

16 hours ago, leiizko said:

To disable forced fov simply type "$fovoff". I've just tested it and it works just fine (it does reset cg_fovscale to 1 fyi), you type it once and you are free to change cg_fov cvar to whatever you like. Server will not force higher fov unless you type "$fov" again. 

It resets to 1.25 every time you die, or spectate or whatever. Then you can't change it back to 1

but have to use $fov to cycle it back to 1.0 and then use $fovoff again.

I honestly don't see why having to use the $fov command to get to normal fov is an issue, you only have to do it 1 time and it will stay like that. I just tested this myself, I usually have it at 1.25, changed it to 1.0 got a kill, died, went to spec and back and it stayed at 1.0 Didn't change maps as I assume it still wont change back. You can add that command /cg_fov and /cg_fovscale to your player profile and set it to read only that way it can't be changed.