Sign in to follow this  
IJzzo

WARNING: CD-Key stealing CoD4 servers.

Update:

There is now a client version available which protects effective from CDKey stealing CoD4 servers.

You can find it here: CoD4X Client edition - Need testers - Pre Alpha

However no solution for MAC OS X

Well what was for long theoretical possible to program is ongoing now for some month in reality. However I unfortunately heard just yesterday about this 1st time from NNJ.

There are now indeed servers out there which are reading and storing your CoD4 CD-Keys.

One server which is doing this we are aware of is:

91.121.21.210:28968 - 3xp' 24/7 Nuketown TDM/SD

New server found on 6/21/2014

185.4.149.16:29081 - ..:: WDNTW || Public SD All Weapons Server || TS3:178.63.194.215 ::..

There maybe even more out there we don't know it.

Well I recommend to stay away from any server with the IP: 91.121.21.210 or "3xP" inside the name.

Stay away from server with the IP: 91.121.21.210:29081 or "WDNTW " inside the name.

Also it is recommend to stay away from any server you don't trust when the following 2 conditions are met:

#1 It downloads any content to your PC

#2 You have a valid and legally bought CD-KEY entered in CoD4.

You can enforce such a policy by entering into console \cl_allowdownload 0

Or if you don't like console go from Main-Menu to: Options -> Multiplayer Options -> Allow Downloading

You have to do this whenever you join an untrusted server as this can got reset by any server.

How can I detect a cdkey stealing server ?

You can detect it on this way (However when you have detected it, it is already too late):

Whenever you have not opened the cdkey-dialog by self before but after you have joined a server the cvars cdkey1 - cdkey5

are set you have joined a server which did at least read your CD-KEY. You can check this by opening console and type only into it "cdkey". "cdkey1" - "cdkey5" will show up here.

So be careful now until there is a fix available.

Looks like they are doing it since August 2013 so it had happened for quite a long time already. (See attachment)

Adding evidence...

Extract the modfolder and play the demo inside the modfolder. If you are done with demo cdkey1 - cdkey5 will be set. This demo got recorded on this 3xP server of course.

Playing this demo won't expose your CDKEY to anyone if you quit your game after you have played the demo.

Because someone known as Wingzor does not understand this:

Copyright (2014) by IceOps.Ninja - All rights reserved.

Oh gawd... I'm definitely affected by this. I played on that server a lot after I got the real CD key from NNJ.

Didn't expect those people in 3xp, especially Duffman or Wingzor would let that at happen ..

the server sets your cdkey0-5 to "" after it steals it from what I can see.

Well the 3xP server does not reset it to "".

However that doesn't matter when cdkey1-cdkey5 shows up the server was bad. If it is set to "" or whatever doesn't matter anymore as it is set.

How can we prove that they are stealing CD-Keys? I've known that they 'might' of been stealing CD-keys for awhile but could never prove it and from what i read there no clear evidence :P

I even asked one of 3xp admins and he said they aren't and even told me how to avoid stealing CD-Keys

Here the PM

e83e778ae5ee0ec484e89092839f6781.png

I'm not trying to defend them, i think it's better to post the evidence that they are apart from some clientcmd errors where they have anti-cheat protection that does dvar checking (from what they say)

How can we prove that they are stealing CD-Keys? I've known that they 'might' of been stealing CD-keys for awhile but could never prove it and from what i read there no clear evidence :P

I even asked one of 3xp admins and he said they aren't and even told me how to avoid stealing CD-Keys

Here the PM

e83e778ae5ee0ec484e89092839f6781.png

I'm not trying to defend them, i think it's better to post the evidence that they are apart from some clientcmd errors where they have anti-cheat protection that does dvar checking (from what they say)

Bullshit. The only way to prove anything would be him showing the complete mod source with not compiled .menu files. But well, it wouldn't be clean anyway as they need to create the cdkey1-5 cvars, they dont exist in stock CoD4. Which also shows how bullshitty is what he says.

Well you can create a video as a prove. However I don't think we have to prove something. Believe it or not. As long as they are doing this the above shown step can prove it for your self. Well you can also record a demo if I'm not wrong to prove it.

@kelm I'm not saying what he says is true, is was more your word vs his word kinda thing but like i said, i've had my suspicion for awhile and i even mentioned it to NNJ :P

Anyway, thanks for posting evidence Ninja :)

@kelm I'm not saying what he says is true, is was more your word vs his word kinda thing but like i said, i've had my suspicion for awhile and i even mentioned it to NNJ :P

Anyway, thanks for posting evidence Ninja :)

I know :P His word is not worth anything though as he told you only lies, we have proven that they indeed steal CD-Keys.